• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on Gold coins

5 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I was showing my landlord my coins. He brings me my mail and waits there with a puppy dog look asking "Can I see what you got today?. It's funny.

So, he collected coins a long time ago. He's got a few gold coins and some %400 bills. A lot of his stuff was ruined in a flood.I think he re-caught the bug from me. He asked me about finding him a nice gold coin or two. He really likes Uncirculated St. Gaudens and the $10.00 Indian. I have no clue about gold. So, what should I look for? Slabbed,raw. Amount to pay etc.? Thanks,Pete

I neither one of you have grading experience with gold coins, I would suggest buying slabbed coins from NGC/PCGS. I don't know what grades this person wants to buy, but high AU or up to MS63 may suit him. IMHO, you two need to agree on those details before buying anything.

In your situation it is a must for certification and the prices will start at over $900 for an MS double eagle while the MS eagle will only be slightly less. These are rather generic coins and can be purchased from any number of full-time, online dealers, through ebay or at your local dealer.

great overview of saints

read this first!!

i think you cant lose on a nice ms 64 saint 1927 1928 as i think gold will be over 1200 an ounce in the next year or so

make sure you buy a PCGS OR NGC SAINT AND MAKE SURE it has amazing cartwheel lustre andalso a beaituful original orange gold coloration

and make sure no rub on the knee or a flat nose of miss liberty

also on the high points of the reverse which is the top middle of the wings no rub appears

easy to tell rub on gold if you tilt it in the right light

also make sure the coin is a nice high end ms 64 close to ms 65

i think this coin will cost you around 1175-1200 currently and this changes daily on the price of gold

good luck...................................................................