• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just noticed a black smudge(picture added)

6 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Now I know for a fact this little smudge wasn't on my 81 S Morgan when I sent it to NGC. It's on the reverse down by the mintmark.It looks like graphite or ashes? I studied this coin a hundred times since I bought and never saw any smudge.. This one is, in my opinion, in the best condition of any of my coins and it came back as improperly cleaned.

You all know how we are about our coins.I can tell you pretty much where and when I bought mine by looking at them,even the duplicates.I'm not going to make a stink with NGC about it,I just find it disturbing. Maybe I'm nuts,but I don't think so.

Here's a picture of it. I think I would have noticed this. I got rid of my before pictures, dang it.

81ssmudge.jpg

I have had coins returned to me from the TPGs that I would swear looked different than I remembered them looking. Most of the time, it is probably my mistaken recollection.

If there is a new smudge, I would call NGC customer service, explain the situation, and see what they recommend.

Is it possible that the smudge could have been (temporarily) removed by the improper cleaning only to resurface during the time of the submission. Who knows what the climate controls are like at the USPS. I'm also concerned about the area of the eagle's right wingtip and STATES along the rim.

Chris

Is it possible that the smudge could have been (temporarily) removed by the improper cleaning only to resurface during the time of the submission. Who knows what the climate controls are like at the USPS. I'm also concerned about the area of the eagle's right wingtip and STATES along the rim.

Chris

Yeah Chris,I see that.I have no idea what that is.That has always been there. You all know better than I do about this stuff. They put a note with this one to have it conserved at NCS. I was under the impression that they don't usually recommend that option with cleaned coins.Here's a picture of the Obverse. The color is off.The coin is blast white.I hope this shows details well enough. Anything you can see here?Thanks

81sOBV.jpg

It looks to me like conservation might be an option, but I don't think it would be worth it. The 81-S is known for a good strike, and yours looks like her hair is lacking detail.

Once you add in the conservation and resubmission fees, you'll probably end up with a coin that is worth less than your investment. Personally, I'd look for a nice NGC or PCGS 64/65 in the market rather than spend the money on it.

Chris

It looks to me like conservation might be an option, but I don't think it would be worth it. The 81-S is known for a good strike, and yours looks like her hair is lacking detail.

Once you add in the conservation and resubmission fees, you'll probably end up with a coin that is worth less than your investment. Personally, I'd look for a nice NGC or PCGS 64/65 in the market rather than spend the money on it.

Chris

The detail is there. It's the picture.My landlord and Iwere comparing it to a PCGS MS 65 under 5x and it has more detail than that one had on either side.. But,I hear what you are saying.Thanks.