• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Return policy

22 posts in this topic

I'm just peeved at a guy on ebay I made an offer to. My offer was $300 less than his buy it now, but still was a high for that particular coin. I also asked that he allow a 3 day return privilege, since no return policy was given.

His response was that it wouldn't be fair (note: 'fair') to offer me a return policy since he's never had one.

Now, I ask you...what respectable seller wouldn't offer a return policy?

OK, I know, ebay is an auction and not an approval service, and you spend all that money putting your item up for sale and then some shmuck tells you he doesn't like the coin and sends it back...

but what about the honest real collectors out there who will bid on your coin, or buy it outright, and when they get it, despite the fact that it's in a pcgs 58 holder, there's a deep gouge on the central device that didn't show up in the photo?

Don't you OWE them a return privilege?

And what about the guys who say; 'no returns for certified coins'

like just because it's certified it can't be flawed and those flaws can't be hidden by your camera?

Well...just letting off some steam here...

Mike---- I have thought about this very issue an awful lot. And, I certainly could come down on either side of the issue. I'll offer some thoughts:

Many sellers ARE NOT coin dealers.

Ebay is NOT an approval service.

A seller SHOULD offer a buyer a decent picture.

Sellers have the right to determine HOW they wish to sell their product.

Seller needs to put it in writing what they will do or what they WON"T DO.

Seller needs to state----"Ask questions BEFORE you bid.

Seller should answer all questions that are asked HONESTLY.

If seller starts an auction at below 10 bucks---puts a "no reserve" on his auction---is that not a TRUE AUCTION?? He will take the final price NO MATTER what it is----That is somewhat of a risk to the seller.

Seller may simply NOT WANT the hassle of fooling with returns----having to relist the item etc.

No one forces a bidder to push the buttons on his computer.

Bidder has the free will to just pass up that listing.

It is the bidder's responsibility to be certain of his bid---BEFORE he makes it.

He can email the seller and try to get that seller to think more in light with his opinions. But, the seller by NO means is obligated to do anything differently than that which is in his listings.

The grade on the TPG holder is the responsibility of the service----not necessarily the seller. If the coin isn't up to the standards of the buyer, then his option is with the service at that point in time----as long as the seller has said "no returns" on TPG coins.

So, IMHO, I don't think that the seller "OWES" anybody anything more than what he has stated in his listing. Bob [ supertooth]

Mike,

As long as you brought it up, it would appear that many, many sellers think that their patrons ARE buying the holder and not the coin, because way too many are not giving us photos of the coins they are selling worth looking at. Just the photo of the holder with a small little coin in it.

As to the no return policy, I will not buy from any dealer not offering a return policy. In fact, I would not even request one. As a buyer the greatest power you have(the only power you have, actually) is too disregard the seller and not give them the time of day.

Whle buyers have a list of complaints and sellers have an equally long list of complaints, the bottom line is the seller is trying to sell the buyer something he evidently needs, so why not come together and help each other. Everyone wins this way. JMHO

Sorry for the rant.

Jim

rantrant

Mike,

As long as you brought it up, it would appear that many, many sellers think that their patrons ARE buying the holder and not the coin, because way too many are not giving us photos of the coins they are selling worth looking at. Just the photo of the holder with a small little coin in it.

As to the no return policy, I will not buy from any dealer not offering a return policy. In fact, I would not even request one. As a buyer the greatest power you have(the only power you have, actually) is too disregard the seller and not give them the time of day.

Whle buyers have a list of complaints and sellers have an equally long list of complaints, the bottom line is the seller is trying to sell the buyer something he evidently needs, so why not come together and help each other. Everyone wins this way. JMHO

Sorry for the rant.

Jim

rantrant

The seller might think that the Buyer is buying the Holder. The Seller might also feel that it is hte responsibilty of the TPG who certified it. This could be a problem if the Buyer is not a member and either has to become one or find a dealer who will submit it to make it right.

For this reason I htink that the Seller should offer a return privilege.

Good points all the way around.

What it comes down to is if the buyer doesn't like the conditions of the sale/auction, the buyer should pass. I think it is wrong to ask for extra things that are not offered in the auction. It's fine and very smart to ask to clearify issues if not stated in auctions or ask for more info to help in your decision to buy or not though.

It's very easy for me. For an inexpensive coin on ebay, I might take a gamble on a coin for which there is no return privilege. For an expensive coin, if there is no return privilege, I am not buying it. Period.

i used to not allow returns on raw coins. and allow only cert numbered coins to be returned. i found that free shipping and returns welcome, upped my selling . if the cost of ebay wasnt so much, i think more would do returns and relists. most stores wont even do cash back anymore :( and that doesnt help either.

I don't for one second buy into the argument that ebay is not an approval service. Ebay is whatever the buyer and seller agree that it is, whether that be an all-sales final venue or an approval service venue. Personally, I have never listed an ebay lot as an all-sales final lot and would never buy something off of ebay without the right to return.

Because of Ebays new Feedback rules and me knowing I may have some problems with the buyers of the raw coins, selling out of my Danscos, I went to an undocumentated "no question return " policy.

Bascially meaning that if a problem arises and am contacted about a coin - I will return there money 100%.

I am not going to publicise the return policy which currently has eliminated the newbie BOZO that buys it to look at it and return it because he is unhappy KNOWING that he can do it.

I find this illiminates a lot of newbie/trouble maker issues as they will not know better or will not know if they can and do not ask. The intelligent buyer will ask what the return policy is in advance.

Some may find this to be slightly 'unethical' to take advantage of the unknowing BUT there are more unethical people out there than me.

Live by the sword…………..Die by the sword.

Do unto others, as you would like them to do unto you.

I for one will never buy anything ONLINE or OFFLINE expecting any type of return privilege. UNLESS I was sent the wrong item.

I know what I am buying when I buy. If I am not sure what it is or it may be I understand my chances before I agree to buy.

I agree if I sell I am dealing with the public and I will offer a return if they have a so-called problem arise.

The simple cure to this is always state what you have exactly. When I see items with hype that makes me stay clear. Not the fact they have no returns.

If I get stuck with something I don’t like I either give it away or sell it at a loss and move on.

We tend to be to soft in taking responsibility of our own actions and want to look for a fast way to shift the blame.

As for scammers? As I stated if I got took or stuck with something I didn’t feel I was buying I just move on.

BUT there are more unethical people out there than me.

This gives you comfort? hm

I use the word "unethical" which really is NOT the proper word as I will honor ANY requested issues of returns 100% ... its just not publicly known. And NO I am not bother by this way of doing returns ..

Live by the sword…………..Die by the sword.

Do unto others, as you would like them to do unto you.

I for one will never buy anything ONLINE or OFFLINE expecting any type of return privilege. UNLESS I was sent the wrong item.

I know what I am buying when I buy. If I am not sure what it is or it may be I understand my chances before I agree to buy.

I agree if I sell I am dealing with the public and I will offer a return if they have a so-called problem arise.

The simple cure to this is always state what you have exactly. When I see items with hype that makes me stay clear. Not the fact they have no returns.

If I get stuck with something I don’t like I either give it away or sell it at a loss and move on.

We tend to be to soft in taking responsibility of our own actions and want to look for a fast way to shift the blame.

As for scammers? As I stated if I got took or stuck with something I didn’t feel I was buying I just move on.

So if you buy a coin on ebay with a high quality photo that does not show the problem, the one you see immediately when the coin comes to you in the mail, you just sell it for a loss and move on? That is very charitable of you.

I think that in this world where everyone is afraid of risk, and nobody wants to take chances (perhaps understandably), a return policy is taken for granted. After all, if you buy a screwdriver at Wal-Mart and break it while using it (improperly) as a pry bar, you can just take it back and return it. If you buy a ladder at Lowe's and then break it because you use it to support far more weight than it is designed to, you can return it.

This is part of the "no personal responsibility" society we live in.

A return policy is not a required option in a typical coin transaction. It must be agreed upon by both parties. Even though most sellers automatically grant it, we should understand that there are times when a sight-unseen transaction is perfectly acceptable, again if it is agreed to by both parties involved. And that is what you are discussing here.

It may irk you that this seller insists on sight-unseen, but it's entirely within your prerogative to decline. Not in the slightest to I think you should be angry with him.

The fact is, in my experience, return privileges are probably more often abused by buyers than no-return policies are demanded by sellers. If you don't want to get involved in a sight-unseen transaction, then move on to the next seller.

The fact is, in my experience, return privileges are probably more often abused by buyers than no-return policies are demanded by sellers.

I am in absolute agreement with James and hence my Policy - I have out of the recent 75 or so raw coins had one returned. My policy does elude some riff raff and seems to work SO FAR and still at 100% - Time will tell I have another 100 or so raw coins to go ... wish me LUCK :)

this is why i never have bought from sleezebay

never registered for sleezebay\

do not even bother to look at sleezebay

in fact if i was in charge sleezebay would no longer be allowed to exist

okie basically in answer to your question mike; sellers on sleezebay can do whatever they want to; even if it is unreasonable/unfair/kooky as this is sleezebay

then you do not do business with this person on sleezebay

i used to not allow returns on raw coins. and allow only cert numbered coins to be returned. i found that free shipping and returns welcome, upped my selling . if the cost of ebay wasnt so much, i think more would do returns and relists. most stores wont even do cash back anymore :( and that doesnt help either.

You can request a final value fee credit from ebay on returned items, and if you refund paypal payments through the paypal invoice page, you get those fees refunded as well.

You can request a final value fee credit from ebay on returned items, and if you refund paypal payments through the paypal invoice page, you get those fees refunded as well.

This is correct as LONG as BOTH parties agree not to complete the sale.

I think that in this world where everyone is afraid of risk, and nobody wants to take chances (perhaps understandably), a return policy is taken for granted. After all, if you buy a screwdriver at Wal-Mart and break it while using it (improperly) as a pry bar, you can just take it back and return it. If you buy a ladder at Lowe's and then break it because you use it to support far more weight than it is designed to, you can return it.

A return policy is not a required option in a typical coin transaction. It must be agreed upon by both parties. Even though most sellers automatically grant it, we should understand that there are times when a sight-unseen transaction is perfectly acceptable, again if it is agreed to by both parties involved. And that is what you are discussing here.

It may irk you that this seller insists on sight-unseen, but it's entirely within your prerogative to decline. Not in the slightest to I think you should be angry with him.

The fact is, in my experience, return privileges are probably more often abused by buyers than no-return policies are demanded by sellers. If you don't want to get involved in a sight-unseen transaction, then move on to the next seller.

Return policies are abused across the board wether it's coins or any other product.

My wife works for Lowe's and when she goes back to work after this holiday weekend..guess what gets returned...BBQs. People will buy them for the weekend, use them and return them with the reason that they didn't like the way it worked...that is in' unreal!! But store policy is to take it back. She sees the abuse day in and day out.

Return policies are abused across the board wether it's coins or any other product.

My wife works for Lowe's and when she goes back to work after this holiday weekend..guess what gets returned...BBQs. People will buy them for the weekend, use them and return them with the reason that they didn't like the way it worked...that is in' unreal!! But store policy is to take it back. She sees the abuse day in and day out.

I used to be a Manager in Retail here in Florida. If there was an indication that a Hurricane might be coming during Hurricane season then people would come in and buy supplies such as Batteries etc and if the Hurricane did not materialize then they would be returning the items the next day .We had people that would change diapers in the changing rooms and leave the diapers with the s--t on them in the changing rooms.We had a policy on returning undergarments but people would still try.

People would return coffee pots with the grounds still in them.Don't even ask about the Bathrooms and the things some people left.

The abuse with coins, of course (and I am in no way whatsoever of suggesting that Mike, or anyone else on the boards, would engage in this kind of riff raff activity), is to buy coins that look "nice for the grade" in the images and look for upgrade potential, then return everything that has no such potential - which usually means most if not all of the coins. I have fortunately had only a couple of potential customers try to pull this trick, but it is exceedingly annoying when they do. They will pick out your fifteen or so biggest coins, "buy" them, pick out the one (or none!) that might upgrade, and return the rest. This can potentially tie up a big wad of cash!

Anyhow, I don't want to belabor the point. I offer a solid return policy, and luckily, it's been used only a very few times (once in the past four or five months, less than ten times ever). I just make it a habit to avoid sight-unseen purchases, regardless of circumstances.

Now, I ask you...what respectable seller wouldn't offer a return policy?

Someone who doesn't stand behind their coins and won't be getting ANY business from me....Mike