• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Cool Token (Picture now Available)

12 posts in this topic

Bought this a few weeks ago - just got some pictures, so I thought I'd show it off.

Whoops - I seem to have forgotten how to upload an image - can anyone give me instructions on how to post any image?

JAB_20_o.jpg

JAB_20_r.jpg

If you have an account with Photobucket of any other you can enter it

by clicking the 3rd icon from the left on your post reply.

Lets see it...you got me anxious :)

Stefanie

Hey, Ron! How have you been? Edit your post and use File Manager to browse through your photos.

I'm anxious to see your token. Is it toned?

Chris

Super token!! Congrat's!! (thumbs u Prices have continued to rise on these.

Beautiful token, Ron. I have some information on James Bolen that I will post when I get home from work if you want it.

Chris

John Adams Bolen was a die sinker who lived in Springfield, Massachusetts when he was making dies. Bolen cut the dies for this piece in 1865. He made only a small number of these medalets in silver (perhaps unique), copper and tin.

In the early 1870s Bolen sold or traded the dies to John W. Kline who was a Philadelphia coin dealer. Kline produced restrikes of this piece in copper, bronze, brass, silver and white metal. At the time the prices were 20 cents for copper and brass, 15 cents for white metal, 25 cents for bronze and 75 cents for silver. The copper and white metal pieces are fairly common as these things go.

The way to tell the difference between the Bolen original strikes and Kline restrikes is by the thickness of the planchet. Bolen’s planchets are from 2.25 to 3 millimeters thick. Kline’s pieces are from 1.5 to 2 millimeters thick.

I obtained this information from a book entitled the Medallic Work of John Adams Bolen by Neil E. Musante. Mr. Musante did a terrific job on this work. It was published in 2002, and the printing was limited to 725 copies. I imagine that a numismatic book seller could probably find a copy of this work for those who are interested.

Beautiful looking token, Ron! :applause: Where ya' been?

VERRRY Busy at ANA! There will be some very good news at the ANA Convention in Baltimore.

Bill - Thanks for the info on Bolen - I have a Bolen book (it's in CO Springs) and I'll measure the thcikness to see which one I have.