• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Presidential Series Error Coins

18 posts in this topic

Hi! folks, can anyone tell me where I can find a list (if there is any) of the Presidential Error coins that NGC has graded.

NGC seems to put them all under the MSME Designation which dosen't help a bit.

I have collected 18 so far and I know there must be some more out there. I would appreciate the help. Thanks, Marchas45

61392-clam2.JPG.abcfa56debd7b4fcb1c6e733ee361ced.JPG

61393-clam1.JPG.40da1a450b36e288b4895942ceec6e7c.JPG

You're right, NGC does not list separate categories for MINT ERROR coins. If they did, their census report would probably be 10000 pages. If you want specific information on Prez errors, you might try contacting CONECA.

Chris

Or you can go to google and type in Presidential Dollar mint error list and go to this page(just one of several offered):

about.com

Welcome to the forum and good luck, Marchas.

Jim

Glad you like the signature set I'm going to keep trying to add to it to see where it goes. I love the clamshell, one of the best I've seen, the other clamshell errors are mostly cracks around the edge, this one is really opened up. Charlie

How about this error? is it considered a clipped platchet?

IMG_0401.jpg

The metal from the rim appears to be pushed out and over the "ASH". Could it have been the result of a (large) strike-through? Interesting!

Chris

I'm not sure what it would be attributed at ngc as an error but the metal sticks out on the side. I have a few others like this, all from the same original box at local bank.

How about this error? is it considered a clipped platchet?

No, it is called Post Mint Damage.

I'm inclined to disagree with you, Conder. If it had been post mint damage, the edge would have bulged outward since there would be no retaining ring to hold it in place, but it looks like all of the displaced metal was pushed onto the surface of the coin.

Chris

Maybe it is the lighting but to me it looks like the rim area is incuse as if the edge was hit and pushed in, with metal from the rim pushed out into the field. If the rim area is RAISED, then I'd say it's a design cud where a piece of the die broke away that encompasses the rim field and tops of the letters.

Maybe it is the lighting but to me it looks like the rim area is incuse as if the edge was hit and pushed in, with metal from the rim pushed out into the field. If the rim area is RAISED, then I'd say it's a design cud where a piece of the die broke away that encompasses the rim field and tops of the letters.

I'd like to see photos from the reverse and the edge.

Chris

I believe it to be caused when minted. I dont see what could have caused this after minted? but here's the others I have. Sorry about the pics that were quick

This is the rev. of the original one.

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

On this one the metal sticks out. Wierd!

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

Are these worth anything?

It still looks to me like something is hitting the edge and causing damage to the coin. I've seenn something like this before back when the Washingtons were first coming out and it was suspected at the time that the damage was somehow being caused by the edge making equipment while it was ejecting the coin. The fact that it appears at different locations around the coin and on both the obverse and reverse would tend to argue for that cause.

It is still post mint damage, even if it happens inside the mint. I don't see these having any value.