• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How reasonable is this? 1932 S 25C

7 posts in this topic

As some of you know, I'm building a 1932 Mint Set with my step-father. You can check my page to see how it's going. I'm trying to find 1932 D and S quarters that are in good grades, have the look my father is looking for and are for a reasonable price.

I've been looking at 1932 S quarters in MS63, the prices seem to range from about $900 to $1400. Most of the coins I'm seeing are ugly toners or look "dirty" (as my step-father would see it). I've located a what appears to be a nice, clean, lustrous, shiney 1932 S in NGC MS 63, what I'm looking for. The seller wants $1400 + about $25 to ship it. Does this seem like a reasonable price? Something I could come to my father with as a good potential purchase? I'd hate to suggest a coin that proved to be way over-priced relative to FMV.

I do not know what a reasonable price is because I do not collect these coins. But the first thing I would do is compare your prospective purchase to the coin images and prices realized on the Heritage Archives.

The price seems a little high to me. Mine "only" cost me $900, though that was well over six months ago, and it is not certified (it is MS-63). I should think $1200 shipped is about top dollar. This assumes the coin meets your standards for appearance!

I do not know what a reasonable price is because I do not collect these coins. But the first thing I would do is compare your prospective purchase to the coin images and prices realized on the Heritage Archives.

I've checked what's going on at Heritage. There's not a whole lot of them going trough over there but the ones I'm seeing are going for about the $1000 range, but these are not the clean-looking coins I'm looking for either.

Revenant,

This seems awfully high to me for MS63. Their are a few 32 S Washingtons slabbed on Collector's Corner right now in the $1000 to $1100 range-all MS63(NGC and PCGS). The first is an NGC that may be a little too "dirty", the second is PCGS and appears clean but without lustre(might be the pics). I lack both the keys for my collection and are unable to afford them at this time. I wish you luck with your purchase and hope you find what will suit you both. I've bought the last couple of coins(liberty seated dollars) from Collector's Corner and have been happily surprized by the quality being better than the photos. Again, great luck.

Jim

Revenant,

This seems awfully high to me for MS63. Their are a few 32 S Washingtons slabbed on Collector's Corner right now in the $1000 to $1100 range-all MS63(NGC and PCGS). The first is an NGC that may be a little too "dirty", the second is PCGS and appears clean but without lustre(might be the pics). I lack both the keys for my collection and are unable to afford them at this time. I wish you luck with your purchase and hope you find what will suit you both. I've bought the last couple of coins(liberty seated dollars) from Collector's Corner and have been happily surprized by the quality being better than the photos. Again, great luck.

Jim

As it happens. I showed my step-father 3 coins, all NGC MS63. The first was a coin Heritage was selling through ebay where the BIN on the coin put it around $950. They had good pictures. The second was a coin in the $1100 range from another vender and the third was the $1400 coin. After showing him the images available and discussing the respective qualities of the coin and price, it was agreed that the $1400 coin was out of the question (just not a reasonable price) and he personally liked the Heritage coin (based on luster, strike quality and overall appearance). We've ordered the coin off Heritage with several others. I'm waiting on them to get back to me with an invoice for the shipping total but with Friday being July 4th I worry that it might be monday before they send out the invoice. I'll let you guys know more later. The other coins we ordered are all nice (1 is VERY nice IMO, a 1934 Texas Commem in PCGS MS65!) but they aren't as big of a purchase as the 1932 S (even combined).

Good luck hunting down the coins you need. :)

This and the 32D have really sky rocketed in price the last few years. I think they are set for a little downturn. You might want to consider waiting a bit to see if the market softens for this date.