• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you starting to take up a new series of coins?

31 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone out there is starting to take up a new series of coin, either seriously or just for fun. I've noticed that lately I've started buying toned 1946-64 Roosevelts. Not seriously or anything, but if a nice one is available at a reasonable price I'll purchase it. The one problem I have with them is that they are a dinky coin, so it's difficult to see much of anything, but given that drawback they are still fun, and quite inexpensive... particularly if bought raw. Also, they can tone up very nicely, and I do like the reverse design. Here are several that I've bought in the last couple of months.

Roosevelt52S_66Sm.jpg

Roosevelt52S_66RevSm.jpg

Roosevelt57D_N66Star_125.jpg

Roosevelt57D_N66Star_125Rev.jpg

Roosevelt57D_N67Star_150.jpg

Roosevelt57D_N67Star_150Rev.jpg

Roosevelt58_67.jpg

Roosevelt58_67Rev.jpg

Roosevelt58D_67.jpg

Roosevelt58D_67Rev.jpg

Roosevelt63D_66Sm.jpg

Roosevelt63D_66RevSm.jpg

yes for collecting fun and/or studying appreciation fun

colonials;

circ. pre-1880 type;

obsolete currency of ny state: also uncut sheets of obsoletes

large medals from the usa and european nations

I too have been buying the toned roosies and more Frankies. Like you said Sy, the roosies are very little and you really need to pull out your lupe to see all the toning. But they are fun and would be less expensive to put together a complete set of toners!

No, since retiring I am learning to not spend money on coins.

My Lincolns, Jeffersons, Roosevelts and Washingtons were up to date with keys in place for a while. The few coins I need yearly to keep things current come from circulation, trades or an occasional giveaway.

Nothing being released beyond those already listed strikes my fancy. When the State Quarter Program ends next year I probably won't collect their replacement.

michael, I didn't know that you collected medals. Are there any particular European designs that you like?

Chris

michael, I didn't know that you collected medals. Are there any particular European designs that you like?

Chris

yes i love large official olympic participation medals the rarest larger medals usually in diameter of over 75mm of the early olympics which were presented to all the athletes who participated in the olympics weather or not they won any gold silver or bronze medals

which started in 1896 in athens then 1900 in paris and so on......................

here is one such participation medal of the 1900 olympics held in paris france and the largest one i have ever seen it is 79mm in diameter huge!!!!

61329-parisobverse2.JPG.75cff9d5cfe083bdd68c2214472e9e2d.JPG

61330-parisreverse2.JPG.72cd1ee819e24d069c23efe3b395d059.JPG

61331-letter2.JPG.a81381e48cc9f2f92f9822d1e63c03c0.JPG

I gave up most of my Morgan Dollar date set (again) for my recent purchase...but I did keep my toned 1883-CC though... but with silver being the price it is I've seriously been considering something else...nickels perhaps?

Chris

yes i love large official olympic participation medals the rarest larger medals usually in diameter of over 75mm of the early olympics which were presented to all the athletes who participated in the olympics weather or not they won any gold silver or bronze medals

which started in 1896 in athens then 1900 in paris and so on......................

here is one such participation medal of the 1900 olympics held in paris france and the largest one i have ever seen it is 79mm in diameter huge!!!!

Jules Clement Chaplain designed this piece for the 1900 Universal Exposition at the request of the French government since, at that time, he was entrusted with designing all of France's gold coinage. The Exposition was held concurrently with the Olympics, but it is my understanding that this medal was not a presentation piece for the Olympic participants.

The presentation pieces for the Olympic participants was actually a plaquette designed by Louis Oscar Roty. I think I have some photos of the plaquette that I will try to post later today.

In any event, your medal just happens to be my favorite design. I like it so much that I bought a second one.

Chris

61336-IMG_0199.JPG.120446d6c85ad54581642178574f6880.JPG

61337-IMG_0200.JPG.46cce33a83f9a2f3bef380b304a9af33.JPG

Congratulations to everybody for stepping out of the rut! :golfclap:

Winston, me likey that Oregon! :applause:

Michael and Chris, those are some Sexy medals... good stuff! :applause:

great information chris!!

yes i am going to the balty ana to divest myself of all my medals and i am going to start something else! as it is hard to get what i want medalwise as many are rare and not available.......................

great information chris!!

yes i am going to the balty ana to divest myself of all my medals and i am going to start something else! as it is hard to get what i want medalwise as many are rare and not available.......................

What other medals do you have?

Chris

As posted in an earlier thread.....I am now starting the slow and financially painful process of collecting Seated Dimes for my Dansco album (thumbs u

seated dimes are cool

i'm starting to look at, and just bought my first bust half dime. they're not expensive, can be beautifully toned and just look really neat. only problem is, you need a magnifying glass to see them lol

i'm also starting to collect bust halves in g-f and vf. I'm finding these coins have a LOT of character, and are grossly overlooked.

Not a new series but I am slowly starting to branch out into the other English Conder tokens other than genuine trade token pieces. (That would mean the anonymous issues, mules made for collectors and general circulation, political issues, pieces specifically designed and made for collectors, and of course the counterfeits.) I don't plan on chasing the private issues or all of the edge varieties. Even without those that should add another five to eight hundred possible pieces to chase.

I just sold 3 of my Saints and purchased 5 $10 libs. Figured it would be fun and a little easier to nibble at $10 libs than $20 coins.

Pics will be in another thread!

saw the thread mba and a good assortment of eagles :applause:

also chris

i have a few olympic medals pre 1915 i am going to get rid of

saw the thread mba and a good assortment of eagles :applause:

also chris

i have a few olympic medals pre 1915 i am going to get rid of

Can you post some photos?

Chris

Well, I'm going to start getting into morgans again after spending that last year or so focused on moderns.

I've started a set of Morgans too! :)

I've only got eleven coins, though. My budget only goes so far.

Well, I'm going to start getting into morgans again after spending that last year or so focused on moderns.

Well, when I say I'm just starting some thing I mean it. I have 1 MS63 coin with 1 more on the way. My next goal is to scrape up a few dollars to get myself a nice MS65 in a few weeks. I also have a couple of raw ones that I'm thinking about grading (1 might even get a MS64 I think).

Well, when I say I'm just starting some thing I mean it. I have 1 MS63 coin with 1 more on the way. My next goal is to scrape up a few dollars to get myself a nice MS65 in a few weeks. I also have a couple of raw ones that I'm thinking about grading (1 might even get a MS64 I think).

Mine are all VF. :makepoint:

You guys are going to hate me because I have duplicates of duplicates of duplicates of duplicates. Some are toned, some are DMPL's, some are VAM's, some are neat die clashes and some are just plain blast white. I'm even trying to put together a few (short) MS grading series.

That being said, yes, I plan to take up a new series...........the 40%-50% of the Morgan dates and mintmarks that I don't have. :insane:

Chris

My set has the 2 graded MS63s (or it will once the second arrives, hopefully Monday), and 14 raw coins. Of those, I think 1 might grade MS64, 1 could get a solid MS63, 2 would be either MS62/63. The other 10 are a mix 1 VF, a few that are XF/AU, and a few that have MS details, but I strongly suspect cleaning in their past.

No, I don't hate you, Chris. My raw morgans were bought over a year ago when I was just starting out. I started learning a few rough lessons though and decided to abandon it for a while. If I'd continued or started back sooner I could have a much nicer set, or I could have had a load of over-paid-for rubbish. I just thought it was better to move on to other things and take time to reflect and I think I'll be better for it.