• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you help with a grade on this 1917D type 1 Standing liberty quarter?

12 posts in this topic

I just bought this one to go with my 1923 S. I am still new at all of this. Orig Ch Bu was written on the card. I know BU is brilliant uncirculated. Does anyone know what the grade would be in MS? Here is the coin. Any help or suggestions are very appreciated. Sorry about the color. I am working at getting a better light. Its raining outside so could not even use the sun. It does have a nice tone more like the rev picture.

Lisha

standing17ob.jpg

standing17rev.jpg

Lisha,

There is obvious wear on the high points of the coin. This coin is lightly circulated and I will say about AU55 is the grade, but I can't really tell about the luster from those photos. It is still a nice type one raw SLQ though.

Definitely AU. Upper au would be my guess 55+
hm ...From those pics I can't see where anyone could say AU or weak strike. Just because there are luster breaks on the high points doesn't mean that it was caused by wear or a rub....

could it be AU... Sure... but it could well be an MS as well.

It's a lovely coin with not the greatest of strikes.

Thank you everyone. It is a beautiful coin and one I wanted. If it is AU I paid too much. I am not sure how to get it graded unless I send it in to be slabbed. I guess I could take it to another shop but I don't really want to do that. So for now I will just enjoy it.

Lisha

Just for grins a giggles I took your pick and hit autofix in the nero photosnap program I got with my SONY DVD rewrite....

I have to say I think that you should send it to a TPG ...(NGC Is my choice)

standing17ob1.jpgstanding17rev1.jpg

Thank you everyone. It is a beautiful coin and one I wanted. If it is AU I paid too much. I am not sure how to get it graded unless I send it in to be slabbed. I guess I could take it to another shop but I don't really want to do that. So for now I will just enjoy it.

Lisha

Lisha, I am not trying to be critical but maybe you should rethink spending money on coins till you aquire a bit more knowledge...

OR think about checking with some of the dealers here...

James, Mark, Greg,Tom B, Pat Braddick ,,,, Hell Lisha there are a Lot of people on these boards that sell coins and that have TONS of knowlage and actually care about what they sell...

Check the Market place or contact them directly..

If I left out some names it was not meant as a slight...

I think you are doing the right thing, Lisha, by counting your blessings. It's likely that when starting out you'll buy some overgraded coins (as the smart money reckons this to be). But at the same time, let's count the gains here:

1) That's a really appealing coin that shows a lot of detail often worn off LSQs.

2) That is a special year and type that really tell a story, and in order for the coin to tell that story it needs to be in shape this good.

3) Now you're armed with some knowledge. You can now compare this to a good photo of a truly MS LSQ and learn where the wear points are (I noticed it most on the head). And next time you'll know the high points and come better educated.

The only way to learn about coin grading is to look at a lot of coins. One way to do that is shop for coins. I'm sure not going to advise you to stop doing that--just sharpen your eyes a little each time.

By the way, is there a coin dealer in Seattle you think is the most ethical/best to deal with? We sometimes come over the mountains for a weekend and often a Husky game, but I really have no idea who's good to deal with there nowadays.

Thank you for your replies. I do like the coin and am happy to have it in my collection. I still think its a nice coin. It goes nice with my 1923S. I will try and be more careful next time. I have had several dealings with this shop and not had trouble before. I too would be intersted in any suggestions for coin dealers around Seattle. The one we went to is in Lynnwood.

Lisha

Lisha ,

Did you buy the coin on E-Bay , if so who was the seller??

I see a little rub on the shield but it is hard to grade because the photo is not clear enough. This coin would not be graded Full Head .

No not on ebay. I bought it from a coin shop. I have been selling silver coins from an inherited coin collection there. I had wanted a type 1 standing liberty and saw it there. The shield has no obivious wear. The only wear is on the head. The rest of the coin is beautiful. Someday I will have it evaluated at another coins store.