• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

James is hard at it!

9 posts in this topic

Just got this e-mail from Scotsman Auction:

A message from your cataloger…

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008

As the cataloger for Scotsman Auction Company, your cataloger has learned that "diversity" is the key to cataloging coins for an auction. This morning, for example, I had on my desk a 1922 "no D" Lincoln cent graded NGC VG-10, an 1836 Classic Head gold half-eagle, a 1935-D Washington quarter in a PCGS MS-64 holder, a complete set of well circulated Liberty nickels in a Whitman album, a Pine Tree shilling, and - just to keep things consistent - a gold 1754 Brazilian 6400 Reis in an NGC XF-45 holder. When was the last time you got an assortment like that in change?! As you might guess, it isn't easy to pull one reference volume off the shelf and catalog all these coins in one fell swoop. Fortunately, the good folks at Scotsman have been providing Flintstone vitamins to your cataloger so that he will have the energy to find the books necessary to research all this stuff.

In all seriousness, the variety of coins is what makes this job a good job, and the payoff on the back end is that you, the potential bidders, will have a vast array of coins from which to learn and enjoy the hobby. Don't be afraid to branch out of your "comfort zone." You never know - that 1754 "6400 Reis" just might look pretty neat sitting next to your collection of Morgan dollars!

Just a few of the coins cataloged this week:

1922 "plain" Lincoln cent, NGC F-12

Every single wheat line on the reverse is fully delineated, and the lettering is sharp, and this is important since the 1922 "plain" Lincoln cent can really only be graded by the reverse. This coin is "die pair 2," which is the only true "plain" die marriage, though NGC merely indicates "strong reverse" as the attribution. As anticipated of a well circulated coin, several tiny handling marks appear on each side, and a trivial carbon stain is apparent just above the word "LIBERTY", but no rim nicks or gouges detract from the otherwise good eye appeal.

1913-S (T2) and 1921-S Buffalo nickels, both PCGS F-15

A pair of important keys comprise this offering of Buffalo nickels. The 1913-S is, of course, the key to a circulated set, and the example offered here is a most pleasing example, with exceptionally attractive, entirely original surfaces and bold details. The bison's horn is about two-thirds present, and the mintmark is unusually strong. Its companion, a 1921-S, is virtually an identical twin, with the exact same level of horn detail and very similar, attractive surface quality. This issue is notorious for poor planchet quality and indifferent production, but any collector will be pleased to discover that neither problem exists with this example. A delightful pair of Buffalo nickels in this two coin lot.

1932-D Washington quarter, PCGS MS-62

Extensive polishing of the reverse die has embellished the reverse of this key-date quarter with innumerable die lines, crisscrossing the entire reverse fields. The obverse die is likewise freshly polished, but is dominated by plenty of attractive cartwheel luster. This coin beams with very bright silver luminescence, as if it had been just pulled off of the dies, but the rims do show the lightest imaginable touch of pale gold toning. No singular glaring weakness suggests the reason that PCGS didn't grade this coin fully "choice," but under a glass, it is apparent that there are a few more bagmarks than usual for the type, and the highest point of the curl just behind Washington's ear displays a trace of "cabinet friction."

Have a great Independence Day!

James Garcia

That Guy Who Describes Coins

Scotsman Auction Co.

James, I would love to have a 6400 Reis gold coin, but can't afford it or course. They are pretty cool. It sounds as though you have a pretty challenging assignment, but I'm sure that you will do a good, professional job of cataloging this Scotsman auction.

lol

I guess we'll find out how many folks actually read spam :o !

The funny thing is, this really is my official job title:

That Guy Who Describes Coins

Unofficially, it's "the guy who eats all our Doritos".... :)

Are they buying you the books for all this stuff? You must have a pretty impressive library in the works!

Books? What books? Half the facts I make up are false!

lol

Are they buying you the books for all this stuff? You must have a pretty impressive library in the works!

Books? What books? Half the facts I make up are false!

Haha. I could do that.