• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FINALLY FINISHED... Date/MM set of Lincolns with this...1909-S VDB

17 posts in this topic

I've literally been working on this set since I was a kid... around 10 years old. The gods smiled... the moons were in phase... the stars aligned... and I coincidently had the cash and the opportunity when this came up:

1909SVDBobv1.jpg

1909SVDBrev1.jpg

Thoughts...Impressions... think it will grade at PCGS or NGC?

Nice Lincoln. I think I would shoot it thru NCS first to make sure it slabs to get rid of some corrosion issues.

Nice Lincoln. I think I would shoot it thru NCS first to make sure it slabs to get rid of some corrosion issues.

Where exactly do you see corrosion?

WoW! That is outstanding! Congratulations!! :acclaim:

That really is a momentous occasion. I really like the look of the coin. Nice, thick skin. The black on the obverse bothers me some but not much. If your set is evenly matched like this then I know that it is incredible!

I had an almost complete set at ten but I sold it when I was 14. :(

Excellent catch!! :golfclap:

Attached is an older picture of mine. I might take it out of the bank and redo my images!

Scott :hi:

61228-1909-SVDB-Obverse.jpg.9cd5adca3f0c81a1827ebd48017f4ae4.jpg

Major Congrats on finishing the set, the Lincoln set is a very long set. That is a lovely piece of copper, and I agree with the monkey, I don't see any corrosion. I'm guessing VF-30+.

(thumbs u Congratulations!

As has already been stated completing the Lincoln date & mintmark set is an accomplishment worthy of note and celebration.

Five years ago I too finished one I started in the mid-60's at the age of 14. Many of the coins came to me in change from my paper route. And, like you I had to wait until the fates, coins, funds, planets, gods and spouse all aligned and smiled in unison to purchase those last few key dates.

Again, congratulations!

MTHead :)

I never did finish my cent set. Too many dates and coins for me. Congratulations, nice '09-SVDB and tough set.

Congratulation! (thumbs u

I was never a big Lincoln cent collector, but in 1982 I figured it was time to finish something I had started on Christmas day 1959. So I purchased the 1909-S and the 1914-D. Then I purchased that last coin, which was a 1909-S-VDB with ANACS papers. :banana:

Even though I'm not a big Lincoln cent guy (although I do collect his political campaign tokens and medalets with a passion) it was fun to finish it.

Thanks everyone...

I was never a huge Lincoln Cent fan either but I started the set after starting Indian Head Cents when I was a kid. Alot of "wheat" cents were still in circulation when I was young (late '60's) so I could pluck them out of loose change and fill in the earlier dates more readily than getting Indian Heads from my local B&M shop at the time. It's one of the few sets I've managed to stick with over the years since there's a bit of nostalgia associated with this set and I could never part with it when "thinning out" the collection.

Cheers!!

Leo

Do you have plans to image and post the full set? That would be awesome!

(P.S. If someone posted that question already, sorry, I didn't actually read the thread.)

Good question about imaging the entire set. I plucked a number of the earlier dates out of circulation some 35 years ago, so I definitely have some plans for upgrading. I think I'll image the ones I'm planning on keeping (keys and common dates XF to low MS) first, and image the newbies after I upgrade... this could be a long process...L