• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to Submit U.S. Coins

4 posts in this topic

I have a few proof coins that I'd like to sumbit to NGC for grading. I've only submitted older, business strike coins before. I've always sent in the coins in a flip; can you also send them in the coin lens the U.S. Mint ships the coins in? I fear that I'd do more damage taking them out than it is worth. If NGC won't accept them in the lens, do you have any advice on how to easiy and safely remove the coins?

Chris Wray

Hello Chris , This topic is brought up from time to time , the short answer is leave the proof coins in their mint issued holders when you submit them . NGC will remove them safely . Do not send the COA (cert.ofAuth) or any other mint cardboard or papers , boxes , just the proof coins in their plastic mint holders.

-John

Hi, Chris! Welcome to the neighborhood.

As John said, leave them in the Mint holders. NGC used to charge for removing coins that were in holders other than flips, but they exempted Mint holders a few years ago for the very same reason that caused you concern. They don't want anyone accidentally damaging any of the coins.

Chris

Hi and welcome.. ?? i have to say i would open them as i have been suprised with the the marks / dammage on some of the coins in these holders.. and i think you could be disapointed in some your grading results.

just my 2c