• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would the coins in this collection look better if they were certified?

38 posts in this topic

In retrospect, I think he would have wanted me to leave them raw.

I like my Turbs raw.

EVP

This is Rosanne Rosannadanna,

I like my Turnips raw. too, as well as my carrots and celery. It is known that foods cooked greater than 118 degrees F. destroys all of the enzymes needed to help digestion.

What?! Turbs raw! Oops.

Nevermind!

laugh.gif

Again, this is not a slam against these coins but does anyone else think the coloration (whether due to the lighting, softward or camera settings) is off? I've taken quite a few pictures of coins using all kinds of lighting, viewed thousands more and these photograph just don't look "natural." Is it just me?

Bust Half Comparison

((( Again, this is not a slam against these coins but does anyone else think the coloration (whether due to the lighting, softward or camera settings) is off? I've taken quite a few pictures of coins using all kinds of lighting, viewed thousands more and these photograph just don't look "natural." Is it just me? )))

Hi pmh1nic! Thanks for the comments.

The amazing thing is that the coins, in person, really DO look like the images (pretty close anyway). The 1820 you put in your comparison really IS a brilliant pumpkin-orange color! (In fact, I think the coin is actually semi-prooflike, but the color is very deep and makes it difficult to tell for sure).

Most of the coins in this set were chosen primarily because of wildly VIBRANT COLOR (original of course). When you look at all of them side by side on black velevet, which is how the owner is displaying them, the best way I can describe it is like an impressionist painting. I think the rarest colors are the pastels, which several of the coins display.

Regarding how the images were taken, the lighting is a single incandescent bulb, with the coins sitting on a black matte surface and tilted up slightly, and with a

sony digital camera that has a "macro" setting. I didn't do any manipulation of the images, other than to crop out the background! The effect of the colors was achieved 100% through positioning of the light bulb , and NOT through software manipulation! In fact, the only software I have for imaging is "MicroSoft Paint".

I think what might be throwing you off is that it's rare to see a collection of deeply toned halves together like this. That's why it's taking me so long to put this set together. Coins with truly deep, vibrant original tone really are rare!

One other note, again not to knock slabs. Bear in mind it took some of these coins 150 years to tone this way. Had they been encapsulated, they would never have had the opportunity. I understand the protection factor. But does there come a point when the "protection" goes overboard? It's like buying a brand new Harley-Davidson, then never removing it from the safety of the garage because you're too afraid to get a little road grime on it. Not that I could afford a Harley .... but you know what I mean!

Thanks again for all the great comments! I'm glad so many of you enjoy Turbs!

James

James

Thanks for sharing a little more insight on the coins and how the photographs were taken. They are beautiful coins and as you said it is very unique to find such a wonderful collection of coins that are not entombed in plastic.

James--I collect Bust Halves so I don't have to tell you the effect that your magnificent collection had on me--I definitely wouldn' t slab them but I agree with Conder about the Coin World holders to provide some protection--plus the label area will allow you to show the Overton variety, etc. Out of my 25 I've got about 3 that nice!! 893applaud-thumb.gif