• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian coin grading, general questions

8 posts in this topic

I mostly collect US coins, but I've got a scattering of Canadian ones. I was asking some questions about them awhile back. I'm in the cataloguing process and would like to know:

1) Do Canadian coins use a similar grading system to US coins, or even the same system? If there are differences, can someone briefly summarize them or point me to such a summary? If I'm going to have Canadian coins in the collection it seems reasonable to grade them according to Canadian standards. So far the clearest description I have read is here, but it does mention that there are slight differences.

2) Is there a really comprehensive online reference for the history of Canadian coins' metal content? When I catalogue a coin, I assign it three values: face, numismatic and metal. Biggest number wins. For example, a lot of commemoratives (including some Canadian ones) in my collection really don't have a denomination, and I doubt they have major numismatic value, but most are silver and are worth something for that reason alone. But it would be very helpful to know changes in the makeup of Canadian coins over time.

Not sure about an online reference but you might find a Charlton Standard Catalog of Canadian Coins useful. I paid $9 for my 57th Edition. I'm sure the price has gone up since 2003 but they are still worthwhile owning.

ALSO: Coin Prices magazine does at least one issue a year with Canadian coin prices and info on metallic content.

I see you already have a link to The Canadian Coinoisseur site. (thumbs u

I have a modest collection of Canadian coins that I started after marry a woman whose family comes from Canada. In many ways, the history revealed about Canadian coins shows that the Royal Canadian Mint has been more progressive than the Congress/US Mint coupling.

So to answer your questions:

1) It depends on the grading service. The main grading service in Canada is the International Coin Certification Service (ICCS) located in Toronto. ICCS is not like its American counterparts in that its "holders" are like the original ANACS holders without the picture. The holders are essentially a sealed vinyl with a paper insert with the coin's information.

Coins submitted to ICCS receive a technical grade based on the 70-point scale. If there are any problems with the coins, the grade will diminish. The US-based TPGs uses a market grade. So if you send your Canadian coins to a US-based TPG, they will get a market grade--which may be higher than the ICCS technical grade.

The Canadian Numismatic Association (CNA), which I am a member, does not take a stand on this. But members do get passionate about this issue. Many prefer ICCS because it is Canadian-based. Many say that they wish ICCS would use slabs in the same manner that the US-based TPGs do. But it is recognized that ICCS doe not do the amount of business as the US-based TPGs.

2) Charlton Standard Catalog of Canadian Coins by W.K. Cross is the "Red Book" of Canadian coins. Everything you would want to know about the technical production of all Canadian Coins, including NCLT coins, is in this book. Cross also shows significant varieties and has pictures for each one, which makes it a great reference.

HOWEVER, if you are going to buy this book you should wait until mid-July when the new version (63rd) is due to be released. If you wait, the book should include information on the 2008 RCM issues.

I hope that helps.

Scott :hi:

I've put the Charlton book on my Amazon list of items to pick up when the new version arrives. Might as well wait a couple weeks and have the latest! Much appreciate the help, and a good Canada Day to all who are observing.

The standard grading guide for Canadian coins is:

Standard Grading Guide for Canadian & Colonial Decimal Coins by James Charlton and Robert C. Willey. It costs about $20.

All the coins have line drawings like the old US Brown & Dunn book.

The standard grading guide for Canadian coins is:

Standard Grading Guide for Canadian & Colonial Decimal Coins by James Charlton and Robert C. Willey. It costs about $20.

All the coins have line drawings like the old US Brown & Dunn book.

I have one of those - copyright date is 1965. Smells a little musty but in good shape. Have they updated it since '65?

As I go through my Canadian coins, I have discovered that the 1859 cent has a great many enthusiasts. I can see why; nice coin, interesting rendition of QVI. So happens, I have two, and I'd better make sure neither of them is one of the special types. Couple questions:

1) Evidently the brass version was much less common and are thus more valuable, as in a factor of up to 100 times more so. Based on my US grading norms I would estimate these as an F and a VG, very dark in color characteristic of bronze (the far more common version). Is there a key identifier that would tell me if these were brass?

2) It looks like it would take a coin microscope to blow up the reverse enough to identify the die varieties. I found an excellent reference page online about this, by a guy who really seems to know his stuff. Evidently there are hundreds of die varieties. However, with a 10x glass I don't see any evidence of doubling or other odd striking characteristics on either of mine. At F/VG wear levels, would that stuff mostly be obscured? Can anyone offer any suggestions, or should I probably just assume they're not special?