• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can I fix these? A few pics!! Acetone Pics added !!

16 posts in this topic

I got this Silver Dollar Story" in, came in a picture frame. I can tell that it's been in the frame for quite some time. The cardboard on the inside is browning all around the edges. It looked like the Dollars were getting some nice toning on the Oberves as seen below. These coins were at the glass front of the frame.

PeaceObv.jpg

MorganObv.jpg

Now for the problem. The reverses shown below were (still are) all taped up with scotch tape. Does anyone have any ideas of what would be the best thing to remove the tape and possibly salvaging the toning on these? Would it be worth saving the toning? Should I acetone them? Should I just go a head and dip them? I don't think the dip will remove the tape tho". I'm open to suggestions! Thanks!

PeaceRev.jpg

MorganRev.jpg

They have both already been cleaned and most coins featured in these frames have been polished, which is one reason for the toning that occurs. Do what you want with the coins, but you cannot "save" them.

They have both already been cleaned and most coins featured in these frames have been polished, which is one reason for the toning that occurs. Do what you want with the coins, but you cannot "save" them.

Then it would be a good possibility if I dipped these Tom, that they would have some hairlines on them?

I'm also thinking I would still like to remove the tape and maybe transfer them to a 2x2 back into the frame. Or just swap them out for a couple others. I like the frame set-up of these with the story and all.

silverdollarstory.jpg

Bobby---Do Not Dip those coins!! They will look awful and unnatural. Use acetone to clean the tape gum and rinse well and pat dry. They should be decent looking coins for what they are. If you dip them then they become scrap.

I think I may just do that Vic and JJ. I think I'd rather have a little color to them to hide the spoon, then dipped and looking like spoon. thanks guys!

1. Actone to remove the tape and any crud.

2. Dip to remove ugly toning.

3. Wrap and store in a Taco Bell napkin to give it some toning.

In any event, good luck and let us know what you decide to do and how you make out.

Ok well these have taken a bath in acetone. What ya think?

The toning around the rim is dark blue.

1887-oMorganObv.jpg

The darkness in the rev of this is a real dark dark blue.

1887-oMorganRev.jpg

1923-sPeaceObv.jpg

I can't pic the colors on this reverse. This has alot of gold color on the eagles back and in about half of the fields.Thjis ugly grey color it's showing is due to the angle. It's not grey in-hand.

1923-sPeaceRev.jpg

Thanks Vic! I may one day swap out the Morgan tho'. The front of these will still reside against the front glass but I took half of a 2x2 and placed it over the reverses of these and then taped that down to avoid anymore damage to them.