• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New World Registry Set ATS (Mexico Type Set).

6 posts in this topic

Click Me

As a collector of this series, I'm very excited that PCGS finally added a new World Coin set. This was promised to be the first in the series of Mexico sets. Other ones will most likely be "one from each Mex. Repub. mint", "War of Independence Royalist Mints" and sets that include minors, as well as 8 Reales pieces.

Comments?

~Roman

Thanks for the information, but I am not excited about this at all. I collect the pillars (from all mints) and if this becomes a success, it is likely to make these coins more expensive. The 8R are the most common as a type coin, but even with this denomination it would not take that many new collectors to push the prices of these coins up significantly. That has already happened since I resumed collecting in 1998. I have also noticed that recently in some of the minors in the recent Golberg sale, though I cannot say this is a trend.

On the Republic coins, I only have a few but would like to buy more, I've just never had any discreationary funds to buy them when they came up for sale because I have been buying other coins. High grade Cap & Ray 4R will soar if even a small number of collectors try to buy them. I have one in NGC MS-61 but have seen few others.

But I do think it is a great idea for any coins I do NOT collect.

I wouldn't worry about the prices soaring too much for the common pillars. There were millions minted every year, for the most part.

As a collector of this series, you will be the most affected if this registry idea takes off, true. But affected in both a negative and a positive way.

I will continue working with BJ Searls ATS (or anyone at NGC, if they show interest in this idea) to help her create more Mexico / Spanish-Colonial sets because I believe in promoting World Coin collecting. I would love to hear your suggestions and ideas in terms of set compositions.

~Roman

My pillar collection currently consists of 30 coins, almost entirely minors, mostly higher grade (AU-50 to MS-65) and most are graded by NGC or PCGS with a handful holdered by NCS (since I cannot find a coin that will grade).

Most people collect the 8R from Mexico because they like big coins and these are the most common as you state. These have become fairly expensive (to me) in mint state which is why I do not own one in this grade even though they come up for sale fairly often now.

As for ideas, I took a look at the PCGS registry and I'm not sure that there are really any more practical ones to add, so maybe it really does not matter.

For example, the next logical possibility is to have a mint and denomination set but that would be pointless because hardly any collector has the funds or opportunity to buy any issues from Chile or Colombia. Even excluding them, this is an almost impossible goal even in any grade that will slab so it would have to include NCS coins.

A set with the 1/2, 1, 2, 4 and 8 from Bolivia, Guatemala, Mexico and Peru in mostly high grade has been a goal of mine since 1998 but I am still missing many of them. Some like the Peru 8R I have had multiple opportunities to buy in NGC AU (but none lately) but others such as the Peru 4R and Guatemala 1R and 2R I have not.

Another option is to have sets for the full date runs by denomination. Though difficult, this could be possible for Mexico 8R and possibly the Mexico 1/2R and 1R. Most of these issues are available at least in lower grades. I would consider it pointless for the other combinations because most collectors (especially those who are used to collecting US coins) are only interested in accepting this challenge if they have a reasonable chance of completing their goal.

A better option is probably to expand the type sets to include other denominations of the portait coinage. I do not collect them but most of them (again excluding Colombia and to a lesser extent Chile) can be found.

For Mexico Cap & Ray, I have essentially the same comments as for pillars. You could pitch for a type set which would generally include 5 coins (more with the 1/4 R and the gold) but that is about it.

If you have any other ideas, let me know and I have no problem giving my input.

Wouldn't mind seeing your pillar collection, World Colonial. My primary (though small) collection is focused on the portrait series and War of Independence period. As far as 8 Reales go, one from each Spanish Colonial mint for portraits is an attainable goal, in my opinion. War of Independence set, on the other hand, will be nearly impossible to put together in PCGS plastic, since they refuse to net grade problem coins.

Another neat idea would be one of each portrait, since there were quite a few variations.

I've been also trying to put together an MS set of minors from Mexico City for a few years now. The kicker was that it had to be also toned. So far only one coin - 1809 MS63 PCGS 1 Real, but I'm on the look-out :)

~Roman

Thanks. I consider my collection to be very modest but probably better than most because most collectors of pillars do not collect anything other than the 8's by date or at least that appears to be the case. I am trying to buy as many of the Peru and Bolivia minors in high grade as I can find but I have only a few Peru lately and none from Bolivia.

I have not paid much attention to the coins you collect because I do not have enough money for them plus what I collect. But I do know that the War of Indepedence issues are very scarce in high grade. I've seen few of them. Same applies to the Iterbide series.

If you want to buy a mint set of Portrait 8R, you will have a hard time finding one from Columbia, at least in decent grade, and the Chile coins are not cheap either. All colonial silver from these mints is hard to find. I believe that a high grade NR mint 8R will cost $10,000 or maybe more. I have a 1799 NGC MS-64 "Lion & Castle" 1/4 real and it is only one of three graded by either NGC or PCGS. I've seen a few others raw in high grade but not many.

A Mexico, Peru and Bolivia 8's type coin is not too hard to find and modestly priced. The 4's are hard to find. The 1R and 1/2R appear less so, at least for certain dates.