• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Idea!! Organizing my coins.

22 posts in this topic

[font:Comic Sans MS]I was looking at my desk today and there are coins all over it. I was thinking of a way to better organize the coins. I had recently bought a new 3-piece tool box; well I was only using the top piece and bottom piece. The middle piece was empty so I decided today that I would take it out and put it on my desk and put my coins in it. I think my idea worked out pretty good. My top draw is for the coins that I need to send to NGC. The other draws are for coins that I need to still look at. At least the tool box takes up less space then the coins I had sitting all over my desk.[/font]

001-4.jpg

002-4.jpg

Great idea! (thumbs u

Another organizer you might consider is a small parts (nuts, bolts and screws) cabinet with individual drawers.

I'm using a 60-drawer wall mountable unit to hold some British coins I've got sorted by ruler and denomination.

It's 15" wide x 7" deep and 19"tall. Drawers are 2" wide by 5.5" deep and 1.5" tall and made of clear plastic. Easy to label.

I would suggest, if you are going to use a Sears roll-away that you put some desiccant in the drawers with the coins for moisture control, unless you have the roll-away in a humidity controlled environment room.

I would suggest, if you are going to use a Sears roll-away that you put some desiccant in the drawers with the coins for moisture control, unless you have the roll-away in a humidity controlled environment room.

I am just using the middle section....and it is sitting in my office and I have a dehumidifier on auto to run when there get to be to much moisture.

A word of advice,if those mats in the drawers are rubber they WILL have an impact on any coins that lie in contact with them. The voice of experience :(

I've seen a tool chest used before and even thought about it myself. Just sometimes can be a little expensive for a cabinet. If I were to do this I was going to take each drawer and line them with felt. It comes in many colors so it can make the drawers look quite nice.

I store my raw coins in 2X2 Safe flips in the boxes that hold 100 of them. I have about six of these and they are in my safe deposit box. When I run out of room, I'll simply store them at home in a larger box.

I'm using this for my medals. I still need to have the plexiglas dividers and the padded lining made. Until then, the medals are individually stored in the Mint boxes that formerly held $25 SQ bags. The empty bags are left in the plastic insert of the box, and provide a cushion for the medals.

Chris

60991-IMG_1540.JPG.90e9e7e0dacdad8826532f0ad2c60639.JPG

I had my coins in a toolbox for a while. The drawers were felt lined with wooden dividers, custom made. I eventually let it go since the coins outgrew the box.

Oh, and Chris... I like your jugs ;)

I like your cabinet very much. I also like antique furniture generally and have thought about buying an old coin cabinet. I have seen them listed on some of the European auctions occasionally. They seem to sell for reasonable prices but the shipping would be expensive. Also, though all my better coins are in slabs, I'm not sure they are good for long term storage.

Nice idea........

I have been putting to use a Flat File. One that holds maps and cad drawings ect...

Each drawer will hold 5 rows of 15 NGC slabs That’s 75 and you can stack them 4 high. With a grand total of 300 per drawer. It fits nice in the floor of my walk in closet under the cloths that are hanging. You can remove the drawers and bolt it to the floor and add a bar with a lock to make it secure. But it weighs around 200 pounds so I have not bolted mine yet. Plus the top of the file makes for a good shelf.

Here is a BAD old image of mine.

file.jpg

I am pretty sure that the lubricants for the drawer slides are petroleum/Molybdenum based. You can wipe them off with Goo Gone and buy silicone grease to replace the old grease. It probably would be a good idea.

Chris that is really a nice coin cabinet, I'm jealous.

Nice idea........

I have been putting to use a Flat File. One that holds maps and cad drawings ect...

Each drawer will hold 5 rows of 15 NGC slabs That’s 75 and you can stack them 4 high. With a grand total of 300 per drawer. It fits nice in the floor of my walk in closet under the cloths that are hanging. You can remove the drawers and bolt it to the floor and add a bar with a lock to make it secure. But it weighs around 200 pounds so I have not bolted mine yet. Plus the top of the file makes for a good shelf.

file.jpg

That's what I was gonna bring up also Jeff. These can be gotten, I think, between $300-400

I had my coins in a toolbox for a while. The drawers were felt lined with wooden dividers, custom made. I eventually let it go since the coins outgrew the box.

Oh, and Chris... I like your jugs ;)

My what!!?? lol

Chris

Thanks!

Chris, How many coins can you put in those vases? (shrug)

Send me all of yours and then I will be able to tell you.

Chris

I am pretty sure that the lubricants for the drawer slides are petroleum/Molybdenum based. You can wipe them off with Goo Gone and buy silicone grease to replace the old grease. It probably would be a good idea.

Chris that is really a nice coin cabinet, I'm jealous.

Thanks! I got it from Home Decorators. By the way, the glides are made of wood, so there is no need for lubricants.

www.homedecorators.com

Chris

Nice idea........

file.jpg

Jeff, there is no need to bolt it down. All you have to do is keep your 20' pet anaconda in the closet.

Chris

When I was a design engineer, many moons ago, we used those flat files for storing engineering drawings.

Now we store the drawings in our CADD files on the computer which makes the map chests and/or flat files ideal for collectibles.

Chris