• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade--1942-P Jefferson Nickel NGC

13 posts in this topic

It's a nice looking Jeff. I was gonna go with MS66 until I seen the two large gouges on the Rev. I'll have to go with MS64 for those.

yeah, the reverse scratches should bring the grade down but I'm gonna say 65. But probably in a 66 slab. I know your caliber of coins Paul!

yeah, the reverse scratches should bring the grade down but I'm gonna say 65. But probably in a 66 slab. I know your caliber of coins Paul!

Jon,

You should play poker with that read. As far as the coin, I am going to assume I was drunk when I bid on this coin. I don't remember buying it and had to check my records. I paid $19 for this POS.

JeffersonNickel1942-PNGCMS661000-3.jpg

Personally, I would grade it an MS63. I might crack it out and use it for my raw 20th Century type set in a capital plastics holder.

A scratch on the obverse of the coin has three times the impact on grade as the exact same scratch on the reverse. So, in the case of this coin, the scratch is of minor importance, being relegated to the reverse. Had it been on the obverse, this coin would grade about two points later, I would guess.

What I've stated is by no means an interpretation of NGC grading standards, but is instead a statement of experience and "common-sense".

Although I agree that obverse imperfections have a greater impact on grade, the reverse of this coin is extraordinarily bad. There is not one scratch, there are several and all of them are major. The one actually cuts the "I" and "V" of FIVE in half. No way should a coin with those kind of imperfections achieve premium gem status. In addition, I think that the reverse of the Jefferson Nickel series is just as important as the obverse due to the FS designation. The obverse is a 66 all day long, but you would literally have to not look at the reverse to agree with an overall grade of MS66, IMO, and I am the insufficiently_thoughtful_person that bought the coin.

^

Agreed. I wouldn't give this a 65 with that reverse. If you did, what should the real 65s get that don't have those sorts of problems on their reverses? Obverse is nice and it's a pity.

I don't get the 65 either. The reverse gouges are an issue, but there's some overall weakness and contact marking all around the triangle roof and the door area below it. I can't quite tell about the steps from the pic, but they don't look close to full--not that that would be a barrier, of course, but when you get into the world of 66 you are expecting a great strike, and I think this isn't.

It's still an interesting coin; I just think they overgraded it.