• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could you help me with this 1890S Morgan Dollar. I am not sure of the grade.

5 posts in this topic

I am posting 3 pictures because I could not get the right color and detail together. It is a nice silver color not the brown as it came out. I need to find a better light. Could you help me with a grade. It looks nice but I am not sure how nice. Thank you.

Lisha

1890-Smorganobver.jpg

1890morganrev1.jpg

Here is one of an accurate color.

1890-Smorganrev2.jpg

You want to play with the White Balance on your camera - If it has a setting use it for incandescent as it loos like you are using a regular light bulb. There are lights called OTT lights which produce a light similar to sun light which work well.

These are better but not quite right - The bad news is the coin looks to have been cleaned - Bottom Right of the Obverse picture

60866-1890-Smorganobver.jpg.b617721801e23117b75c119bd3246f33.jpg

60867-1890morganrev1.jpg.0b88eb486e075c5fe69833b38cc4d0b0.jpg

If you are using an incandescent light, try a GE Reveal bulb. It, like the OTT, also is supposed to match natural light.

And, I also think that the obverse has been wiped. :eek:

Thanks for the info on the light. I do have some reveal and will use those. Bummer about the cleaning. I was going through my inherited coins and found this nice one. I will keep it and enjoy it. I am learning and this will help me look for coins that have been cleaned. I will just enjoy it for what it is because it is a beautiful coin.