• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newby question about coin color

8 posts in this topic

I have several dollar coins (morgan and peace) that are bright silver are these more valuable or less valuable than those with some discoloration around the edges? Of course if the wear is the same. Maybe this question is too vague. I have seen several pictures with dark discolorations that were graded high and was curious.

I am just starting out and full of questions.

With coins, many times beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

There are collectors who will pay a premium for toning while others want “blast white” coins.

Third Party Grading companies are supposed to look past the toning on a coin and grade it on it’s true merits, NCG will sometimes add an asterisk * denoting the coin has significant “eye appeal” due to toning or as being a well struck example.

The toning that you find along the edge of a coin is referred to as peripheral toning which is common on Morgan dollars, but quite rare on Peace dollars.

This is enough to get this thread started, I will allow others to add their comments.

Hi, Lisha! Welcome to the neighborhood.

Please tell us about what you like to collect. If you have questions, there are many people here with a ton of knowledge who will be happy to share it with you.

If you would like to see some examples of unbelievably beautiful toned coins, use the SEARCH feature with the keyword rainbow or Battle Creek to see some awesome coins.

Chris

Usually Morgan dollars are not bright, white right out of the bag, unless they have been dipped to remove toning. Dipping is a common practice because many collectors want bright, white coins instead of naturally toned ones. Most 100-120 year old silver coins do not remain pure white with no rim toning or some discoloration when stored in a cloth bag with 999 other coins, without environmental controls.

Well I just inherited a collection from my Grandmother who owned a coin shop. I am not sure how much of it has been picked over. We are going to have fun going through it all. It was counted as face value at over $5000. So we have a long road ahead of ourselves. We have over 6000 silver dimes to sort through. I am sure most of it is junk but there might be some nice suprises. I just need to learn more about grading so I don't get scammed if I choose to sell some of the collection. Once we get it organized then we will look at what would be nice additions.