• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

please help with a 1923 S Standing liberty quarter

14 posts in this topic

I inherited some coins. I found this one in a 2x2 paper holder with a price written on it. I know this was written almost 20 years ago. there is not a grade written on the card. Could you help me in grading this coin. I am curious how much it is worth now? I am new to coin collecting so any help is appreciated. It looks like a nice coin with minimal wear.

23sstandingliberty.jpg

Looks to be a full AU, possibly even low MS coin. It's kind of hard to tell from the scan. But, what I can tell you for sure is that you should get the coin out of that holder and place it in an archival quality one. Rusty staples are not a good thing.

Thank you. I know we have hundreds of those holders to replace. Its a shame becuase a few have bled rust onto some coins. I just recieved these last week. I have no idea how long they have been in storage. I dont want to take it out until I have an appropriate holder to put it into. Thank you again for your response. I know the scan does not do it justice. I might try with my Digital SLR later.

Lisha,

First let me welcome you to the forum.

I can't grade it from these pics, but that coin needs to be taken to a professional dealer/collector as it is a key coin in the series and is somewhat valuable. Let them look at the coin in hand for advice as to grade/value.If your intentions were to sell it then I would recommend sending it to NGC or PCGS or ANACS for grading and slabbing. Great inheritance Lisha. (thumbs u Go to the webpage below for a value which may be up or down from the actual FMV on any given day, but it will give you an idea of a range. You will not be able to access the Proof or Uncirculated prices without joining, but it will give you access to circulated prices.

Good luck

Jim

Numismedia

Thank you so much for the link. I bought the blue and red book but that site will be helpful too. We have many many coins to go through. I will have to get better at grading.

I don't plan on selling this coin in the near future. I think it might be the most valuable coin we have found so far. I was thinking of having it graded and slabbed to keep it safe if it is worth some money.

Thank you. I understand its hard to grade from a picture. We are planning to go into a shop and have some of the coins graded and buy some storage supplies. we have many 1923 peace dollars that we might sell. They are so bright and clear with only a few stratches. Sell some to preserve the rest.

Lisha,

If you are planning on selling any coins, do some research on values first to get familiar with the price that a particular coin should be worth on the wholesale and retail levels. If you think a coin is supposed to be worth $100 from your research and a dealer offers you $15 for it, you should likely walk away from the dealer and not return.

I grade it AU-$1000

No, I really can't say, but it is the second most valubable coin the Standing Liberty Quarter series with the 1916 holding it's own.

A coin of this value really needs Numismatic attention.

Welcome

That 1923-S looks uncirculated to me. although it is hard to tell what the condition the coin is in. If it is uncirc. it is worth $2000.00 up!

Lisha, be very careful when removing the rusty staples from the cardboard. It happens very often that a coin can be scratched by the staple while removing it and having the coin slip. A scratch on the coin's surface from a staple will seriously damage the coin and could cost much of it's original value.

Also watch for not putting finger prints on the coins. Fingerprints have acid in them and will etch into the coin's surface quickly. Plus you need some non-PVC, plastic flips (Mylar is good) to protect the coins after you remove them. Many people use soft cotton gloves to handle coins and keep skin oils off them.

We went today and had it graded. Its AU and he offered $1500 for it. We are not selling but its nice to know we have such a sweet coin. Thanks for all the good advice. BTW it has a new home out of the rusty staples. We will probably have it slabbed to keep it so nice being that it is so rare.

Thanks again for all your good advice.

Lisha

Very cool. Definitely get it graded by one of the top two. An AU with a "full head",like yours looks to be, can be worth considerably more than an AU without full head. Also, one person might say AU 58, when it's realy am MS coin.