• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HALF DISME 1792 added to the NGC Type Registry--YUK! :þ

Should this "pattern" coin be included with regular Federal issued coins?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should this "pattern" coin be included with regular Federal issued coins?

5 posts in this topic

[font:Courier New]HALF DISME 1792 added to the NGC Type Registry--YUK! :þ[/font]

Like the 1796-97 half dollar type wasn't a stumbling stone enough! :sumo:

NGC, you need to have an attainable goal for the average collector. Besides, the 1792 half disme is not a Federal issued coin and should not be included in this set.

Please, consider removing the slot.

Isn't that thing like super rare, or at least super expensive? I don't do the type set thing, but that choice does not make sense to me. Maybe have it as a display only, does not count towards the set.

Darn it! I don't want that coin in there!

Now, if they make the Dansco 7070 Registry set like I asked, I'll be just fine. But 1792 Half Dismes? Come on...

I checked the population reports and there are 102 certified examples. The most recent one sold by Heritage in January 2008 was in VF30 and realized $83,000. This coin has no business being in the USA type set IMO. However, if you can find one in good condition, you get 6,000 registry points. Good luck!

Isn't that thing like super rare, or at least super expensive? I don't do the type set thing, but that choice does not make sense to me. Maybe have it as a display only, does not count towards the set.

That is a good idea, just like the Norse Americana Medal under the Classic Commem set.

NGC, please seriously consider this. You should be taking actions to encourage new collector participation instead of discouraging collectors as with the introduction of this pseudo-coin.