• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why we collect

9 posts in this topic

Today I went to get some change out of my pocket for a soda and a penny caught my eye. Sure enough it was a 41 wheat cent. I was so excited and everyone in the lunch room thought I was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. All I could do was say, "think about it, some WW II soldier could have had this with them in the Pacific or in Europe. Can you imagine how many people have held this." They just didn't get it. Oh well, it's only sixty years old and VF at best, but it felt great and I even surprised myself. Seems like now I know I'm still in it for the right reasons. thumbsup2.gif

You are not alone. For years I've had the kids at my restaurant pull them out of the till for me. I get a few every week and an occasional silver dime. Problem is now they are keeping them for themselves. Perhaps some new, young collectors are being born.

Hoot................

I'll have you know that ........... I ............... am not a nerd.

I am COOL !

I even have a chrome mudflap on my magnifying glass. (the pocket one....not the REALLY cool magnifier that goes on my glasses that I roam coin shows with)

AND............an alligator cover for my Redbook.

cool.gif

Today I went to get some change out of my pocket for a soda and a penny caught my eye. Sure enough it was a 41 wheat cent. I was so excited and everyone in the lunch room thought I was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. All I could do was say, "think about it, some WW II soldier could have had this with them in the Pacific or in Europe. Can you imagine how many people have held this." They just didn't get it. Oh well, it's only sixty years old and VF at best, but it felt great and I even surprised myself. Seems like now I know I'm still in it for the right reasons. thumbsup2.gif

If they all understood, coins would be unaffordable due to the demand. Heck, many already are unaffordable.

The other day I had lunch at a local Denny's, and while waiting in line to pay my check, the customer in front of me paid most of his tab with old quarters. After he departed the resturant, I asked the cashier if she'd give me my change in quarters.

I got well worn silver ones from the 1940's. Nothing special, but a surprise to see any around anymore.