• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1837 No Stars Half Dime with a really cool NGC certification #

21 posts in this topic

Not only is this a very nice, low grade type coin with great eye-appeal but the NGC certification number is kind of cool, too. :cool: This is now coin #91 out of 116 of my NGC registry type set. (thumbs u I'm certainly in no hurry to upgrade it either.

60518-1837half-dime.jpg.c57a6b8aa1821ff089ee555383b35f44.jpg

Thanks, guys! I also picked up a sweet XF45 1853 PCGS half and an upgrade on my 1921 Peace dollar from a fellow board member. (thumbs u

[font:Arial]TomB, that will teach ya to make idle threats about catching me![/font] :sumo:

haha...j/k. I was eye-balling these coins before you made your comment. ;)

I'm going to have to check out your set again because I can guess at least three of the coins you still need, but the rest would be tough to figure out. hm

That's a cool cert number and a nice looking coin for the grade.

But, I still like Tom's 1837 half dime better. :baiting:

That's a cool cert number and a nice looking coin for the grade.

But, I still like Tom's 1837 half dime better. :baiting:

I sure wish that I had a Gobrecht dollar like this dime or like Tom's. :cloud9:

I can't resist opening threads that have anything at all to do with No Stars seated coinage. I just love them! My favorite of all seated types. That one has a good look. I would not like it if it was dipped out and white. That color is reasonable. I can't tell if the HALF is poorly struck, worn or if the holder is abraded. Regardless it is a good coin.

Congrats on the addition to your set!

Carl, I believe that the reverse "half cent" is a weak strike. I've seen similar strikings on other half dimes.

Any feedback about the reverse? Is it a weak strike or wear?

Carl, I believe that the reverse "half cent" is a weak strike. I've seen similar strikings on other half dimes.

Any feedback about the reverse? Is it a weak strike or wear?

Victor, if that said "half cent" then you would have quite a find! :insane: Regardless, it is quite common for the HA of "HALF" to be weak and I could believe this is because it is directly opposite the shield on the obverse.

Thanks for the f/u info, Tom. I reckon that Bill's post had me half cent crazy or sumptin' causing the typo. :blush: