• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can NCS help? Is it worth it?

12 posts in this topic

Here are a couple of pictures of an 1880 S DMPL morgan dollar. From what I was told it was in a cardboard flip for at least 35 years and forgotten about. It was still in the flip when I got it and it looked old. the flip had gotten a few tiny pin holes on the Obverse and a tear on the reverse and this is the result.

The first picture is not that close a match to color(it is reflecting my fingers) but you can see all the brown spots.The reverse picture is much closer to the color of both sides.

Can NCS fix up at least the Obverse spots and haziness? The reverse toning looks pretty cool in some lighting but I like to have that gone too. What is the cost for NCS conserving to NGC grading? Thanks NCS.

60380-80sSpots.jpg.60ecb8eeb861edd596609c1a7f68c0c3.jpg

60381-80sspots2.jpg.569bf35d8319b9eed28a7d02db7d9627.jpg

I'm not sure what's going on with it but I think if it was mine, I'd take the chance with NCS. Besides the spots, it looks to have very nice looking MS65-66 details.

Yeah.It definitely has potential. And since I only paid a pittance for it I can't really go wrong.

Just trying to figure out what it would cost for conserving+grading. Four percent of declared value for conserving,hmm. Plus the normal $30 grading fee. Are we talking $50-$60 here? I have no idea what delared value it should have.

If I really wanted that gone I'd just dip it and make sure I did a really through rinse to remove all traces of the dip. (I'd probably also dilute the dip 50% with distilled water first. Unless tis coin woud come back as a 65 or better it probably just isn't worth the expense for shipping, insurance, conserving, and grading. (NGC slabbed 64's seem to be available in the $40 to $60 range and once you add in shipping for the ebay coins you would do better buying THOSE from a dealer at a show.)

Thank for the replies.

I know the 80 S is very common. A normal 64 is around the $40.00 mark.But I believe this one is DPL. Those start to get pricey at 64 and up. I'd really hate to use dip. Doesn't that ruin any chance of grading by NGC or PCGS? I'm not a pro so a lot of the details I haven't learned yet.

No, many many dipped coins are in NGC and PCGS slabs. The dip would likely do whatever NCS could. And it would save you money, too.

Dip can ruin DPL surfaces!!!

Which is why I suggested the dilution of the dip. It slows the reaction and gives you greater control. It also exposes the DPL surfaces to a much weaker acid solution.

Dip can ruin DPL surfaces!!!

Which is why I suggested the dilution of the dip. It slows the reaction and gives you greater control. It also exposes the DPL surfaces to a much weaker acid solution.

Makes sense Condor101, But I don't trust my shaky hand to do it right.