• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DGS unveils a Visual Population Report for US coins, should NGC follow suit?

4 posts in this topic

DGS has just unveiled their new population report, complete with pictures!

http://www.dominiongrading.com/popreport.cfm

Do you think NGC should follow suit? Would you, as a collector or dealer, find value in this if they did?

Just wondering...Mike

p.s. thanks to rhoggman who clued me in on this offering on another forum.

Is this intended to include all of the coins they have graded or just the ones for which the submitter has requested an image? (I have never hard of this service.)

To my knowledge, NGC only images coins if you pay for it and this is probably a small fraction of the total. It might be useful but I do not really know. Also, it would be more useful for some coins and not others. Making available 100.000 pictures of the 1881-S Morgan Dollar would not add much.

Is this intended to include all of the coins they have graded or just the ones for which the submitter has requested an image? (I have never hard of this service.)

To my knowledge, NGC only images coins if you pay for it and this is probably a small fraction of the total. It might be useful but I do not really know. Also, it would be more useful for some coins and not others. Making available 100.000 pictures of the 1881-S Morgan Dollar would not add much.

DGS has a service called AuthentiView, in which each and every coin valued at above $100 is imaged, and the imaged is archived to go along with that particular coin's certification number.

I was a bit disappointed in that there was not a single image of a Walking Liberty Half Dollar in MS condition, yet other lesser grades were imaged.

Right now, their numbers are manageable, could you imagine doing this for 1000 coins per day?

I don’t think NGC will be following suit unless it’s top competitors begin to do so…til then Dominion has the spot light.