• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's an 1899 IHC sent to NGC

12 posts in this topic

Hey again,

Sorry, I shot these through plastic. I really didn't want to handle this one until I had to.

I have high hopes for this one. probably shouldn't. One never knows. There is some discoloration around the date.And it's got that dang carbon spot on the reverse. The scratch you see on the face is on the plastic container. Not too sure what effect the carbon spot(if any( will haver on the grade. So, what do you all guess the grade on this? I'll know in a couple weeks. Coins are at NGC now.

Oh yeah,forgot to add.There is a small "blob" of extra metal between the 2nd feather from the bottom and the R of America. Strange,huh?

60151-1899red3.jpg.aaa757ecd860c2d6f9a8a865fb905038.jpg

60152-1899red4.jpg.40fea6d49a5a0716f57e2632a7416859.jpg

I'll be the first to guess since I'm probably the worst. At least from the pictures, to me, it looks RD. Numerical grade ... um ... MS-66 or so?

MS-65 RD, and a terrific pickup for you!

If this pans out,you all will not believe the story on this Indian cent. I'm just a little worried about things "coin doctors" can do to coins to fool people..Especially re-coloring.UGH. As far as I can tell this one is 100% legit. But I am far from expert.

Anyone have any opinions on the "blob"? I've never seen that.

Unbelievable. Result is re-colored!!! Man, I didn't see that one coming.But after seeing a few in ANACS holders recently I posted my worries above.How the hell!! I'm not out all that much. I guess we know why.

I wouldn't be discouraged just yet. Let that coin sit in an old album for a couple of months, then resubmit it. I bet sooner or later, it will grade out. Good luck!

I wouldn't be discouraged just yet. Let that coin sit in an old album for a couple of months, then resubmit it. I bet sooner or later, it will grade out. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion!! You know,I saw another 1899 in a PCGS MS 65 holder that looked like it could be a twin to this one. It was exactly the same color and It had the same discoloration around the lower bust and date. This TPG thing seems like it can get pretty arbitrary.

The TPG grading is arbitrary. Plus, at the moment they are soiling their drawers trying to placate CAC's effect on their past sloppy grading.

The TPG grading is arbitrary. Plus, at the moment they are soiling their drawers trying to placate CAC's effect on their past sloppy grading.

I've heard this about CAC before. Why are they so worried about a startup company that came out of nowhere?

Because advanced collectors, with financial clout are paying premiums for CAC stickered coins and many are avoiding purchase of any expensive coins that do not have CAC's blessing. The handwriting is on the wall, improve grading away from market grading or lose credibility as a market maker! PCGS is doing the same thing with tightening grading. So go with the flow or get left behind!