• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sheldon Provenance?

10 posts in this topic

Thanks for the info James! Would they be holdered, with "Sheldon" on the slab? I know most "EAC"er's don't like slabs.

I haven't seen one certified with the "Sheldon" provenance, but it sure wouldn't surprise me if there are some out there. However, numerous EAC members proudly own or have Sheldon-pedigreed coins in stock. Unfortunately, I do not have one, much less an extra one, but I, too, would enjoy a tangible example of the Sheldon provenance!

Like James, I'm not aware of or have seen any TPG holdered coins expressly pedigreed to Sheldon on the holder insert. There are quite a number of raw Large Cents and probably a fair number of now holdered coins, particularly Condition Census pieces, that can be readily traced to WHS. Extensive records relating to provenance are maintained by the keepers and holders of Condition Census Pieces. I have owned a few cents that have been also been looked after by Sheldon, including one that was once involved in the ANS switch

For a theif and an advocate of racial eugenics, he sure was a popular guy! (thumbs u Okay, I'll give him the real thumbs up on his contributions to numismatics, but it pains me.

Hoot

I sold an interesting 1794 S-61 with some porousity but AU details at the long beach show last fall. Bill Noyes recognized it (raw) and verified in his literature that it was a coin allegedly swapped out by sheldon and eventually returned as a part of the legal settlement. Because of this negative publicity, Tom Reynolds chose not to make me an offer on it. I sold it to Steve Ellsworth. Is that the provenance you were looking for? --Jerry

"I sold an interesting 1794 S-61 with some porousity but AU details at the long beach show last fall. Bill Noyes recognized it (raw) and verified in his literature that it was a coin allegedly swapped out by sheldon and eventually returned as a part of the legal settlement. Because of this negative publicity, Tom Reynolds chose not to make me an offer on it. I sold it to Steve Ellsworth. Is that the provenance you were looking for? --Jerry "

Jerry, that would certainly make it an interesting coin to own!

For a theif and an advocate of racial eugenics, he sure was a popular guy!

Back before the second world war a GREAT many people, hollywood stars, intelectuals, politicians, scientists, etc, were supporters of eugenics. (Frankly I am a believer in it. Not that any one race is superior, but that mankind in general could be improved through selective breeding. It works, we do it with animals all the time. But then we call it animal husbandry.) After the nazis started actually practicing it, everyone backed off and began condemning it. In actual practice people can't deal emotionally with the culling process, and there is always the problem of who decides what traits to breed for and the ethical problem of do you set your goal as an all around better human, or do you breed for specialization?