• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How close are NGC's grades as compared to PCGS?

19 posts in this topic

Hello,

The reason why I'm asking about the two compaines grading is that I just purchased in an auction a Washington Quarter year 1992 - P it's grade is a MS-67 as graded by NGC. At least it's the two big boys and not SGS and PCGS, lol.

I read that there are zero MS-67 graded by PCGS and I have one of 3 coins graded MS 67 by NGC with none higher.

PCGS lists this coin at $3,750 on their price guide here: PCGS WASHINGTON QUARTER PRICES GUIDE. So I'm wondering what, anyone with some knowledge feels, this is worth as a NGC coin and not a PCGS coin?And if you think that it's worth holding or blowing out since I own it for about 10% of the PCGS price? Any help would be appriciated?

Thanks from a newbie on here.........Rob.

PS-Although NGC graded it when I get it I can post HiRes pics to see what people think if asked.

I COLLECT: US COINS, NON-SPORT CARDS, PAPER MONEY, SCI FI ITEMS & REAL MUSCLE CARS !!!

Really, you can find gems and dogs in both holders. That's just a fact. Recently, NGC tightened up their grading standards to closely match those, if not exceed what PCGS was doing, which in turn forced PCGS to tighten up. A lot of people speculate it was CAC driven. Was it? Don't know, all I know is that the older gen coins are now overgraded, so I think you can pick up some real bargains in todays market.

I have found, although my experience is limited with these clad Washington quarters, that NGC grades a point over PCGS, in general.

I send a few busties to NGC for registry purposes that were cracked from ANACS holders just as CAC was gaining recognition last Summer. Three of the 4 lost points from their ANACS grades. Those same three coins gained all their ANACS points back after I sent them to PCGS.

Now this has some meaning to it in that NGC holders that have S/N's starting at 3000000 have a better chance of having those tighter standards applied. The points I lost was more to what I would call erring on the side of caution more than anything, because the strikes on Busties are really tough to interpret, and can result on grades being all over the place. I have noticed on several newer purchases of more recently graded coins, that there is a greater frequency of very nice for the grade busties in the NGC holders.

First of all, Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

The issue isn't really about grades, but about "population". PCGS will intentionally refuse to give out certain "pop top" grades, not because a coin doesn't deserve it, but because they must answer to those who participate in their "exclusive" registry program.

I would not advise you use the PCGS price guide to value coins in NGC holders, because the PCGS price guide for "pop tops" again doesn't really depend so much on grade as it does population.

For me personally, I would sell the coin and use the funds to buy something in a series that I care more about. I just don't collect slabbed Washington quarters.

Best of luck with your decision!

MBA101,

Not sure what you meant. Are you saying the newer NGC s/n's are closer to the true grade for busties??

Thanks

True grades are a matter of opinion. I believe (and it may be applied across the board) that NGC is now grading more conservatively in general than before, starting in general with the higher S/N's. I have found that I was much more happy with the grades on some of my recent purchases. I shouldn't be saying this because people not knowing and sticking with buying PCGS busties has allowed me to get some great deals. Paying XF money for a coin that looks AU etc. saves money on some really nice coins. This may be happening all across the board, not just Busties. Just will take some time to settle in. Hey I don't mind. It is an opportunity.

I would not advise you use the PCGS price guide to value coins in NGC holders, because the PCGS price guide for "pop tops" again doesn't really depend so much on grade as it does population.

I agree with not using PCGS's prices, but that was the main jist of this post to begin with. Does NGC have a price list posted anywhere?

And lastly, I might be new here but I guess you're saying that people that having nothing to do with the grading of the coins that I might be sending to PCGS for grading, are getting involved with the process? And it's not just an impartial grader looking at my coins, impartially?

If that's the case then I don't understand the whole registry thing the, I thought it was guys/girls that had some cool coins they registered, not people controlling the market.....if that's so, it really sucks.

You can see NGC prices at www.numismedia.com, to see the better grades you have to be a member, I think it costs like 10 bux a month.

They need to update the on-line to include the 2008 issues... I went to check some of my slabbed 08's and they're not listed (MS/PF Comm. Eagle, ASEs, etc).

I love the paper issue each month though.

The registry drives the costs up for moderns. Many are just collecting numbers on holders, IMO. It doesn't make since to me for a raw coin to be worth say $5 and the same coin slabbed to be worth $1500 or more.

The MS67, "who is better" controversy has been going on with Washington silver, "D" mint quarters minted during the mid-to-late 1950's, for several years now. PCGS, 1950's, Denver Mint coins in MS67 sell for 2X to 3X what NGC MS 67's of the same date, MM's, sell for. In clad coins, I'm not sure that there is that much real difference, except for PCGS manipulating these top pop numbers for the "cool-aid" drinkers.

Numismedia is way off on early FS Jefferson nickels, but so is PCGS (on the high side). They are 1+ years behind the curve. I don't know how often that they update pricing on some series. I bought a 1949-D, MS67, Jeff and Numismedia has the price at $62.50, PCGS has it at $215.00. IMHO, both are wrong by a factor of about 1/2 or double, take your pick.

I agree with not using PCGS's prices, but that was the main jist of this post to begin with. Does NGC have a price list posted anywhere?

And lastly, I might be new here but I guess you're saying that people that having nothing to do with the grading of the coins that I might be sending to PCGS for grading, are getting involved with the process? And it's not just an impartial grader looking at my coins, impartially?

If that's the case then I don't understand the whole registry thing the, I thought it was guys/girls that had some cool coins they registered, not people controlling the market.....if that's so, it really sucks.

I believe there is no impartiality at pcgs when it comes to top pop coins like these.