• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade--1945-P Jefferson War Nickel

11 posts in this topic

I recently won this coin in auction. Please guess the grade and give me your opinions why. I do not have the grade in the filename this time so there is no reason to even look ;)

JeffersonNickel1945-PNGC1776085-001.jpg

Despite the very thick skin on this coin, the luster is outstanding! I can't even describe how the luster affects the appearance of the patina and the overall eye appeal of the coin. So I guess I will put your guess down as a 66.

I'll say 64 maybe 65

I agree. It looks to have good luster and eye appeal. The nick on the steps knocks that out. It won't go any higher than 65 at the max due to the three nicks on Jeff's face.

Would I be correct in saying it's not a Full-Steps coin? I count 4 and parts of a 5th, but all but the top seem to mush together towards the middle-right. I'm trying to work on my attribute designations here along with my grading.

Well I guess since Irvin finally got one wrong, I can post the answer. FWIW, I believe the coin is overgraded with regards to technical grading and was given a 67 because of the eye appeal, which is an acquired taste in this case.

JeffersonNickel1945-PNGCMS671776-2.jpg

For some reason, the 3 significant marks (chin, hair, neck) show up much more prominently in my photos than they do to the unaided eye. They are very difficult to see without a loupe.

Well I guess since Irvin finally got one wrong, I can post the answer. FWIW, I believe the coin is overgraded with regards to technical grading and was given a 67 because of the eye appeal, which is an acquired taste in this case.

JeffersonNickel1945-PNGCMS671776-2.jpg

For some reason, the 3 significant marks (chin, hair, neck) show up much more prominently in my photos than they do to the unaided eye. They are very difficult to see without a loupe.

lol Nice one Paul. (thumbs u