• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Requesting Information on this 1892 Discovery of America Bronze Commemorative

8 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone out here may have some knowledge or information pertaining to this 1892 Bronze Commemorative of the Discovery of America.

Thank you,

Rey

1892ObvCopper.jpg1892RevCopper.jpg

Interesting, Tom, but I didn't find this one in your link.

Absolutely gorgeous prooflike Danish medal from the World's Columbian Exposition, 65mm, white metal, with Columbia leading Columbus on the deck of his ship, hand in hand. Medal is one of the more striking of all the many Columbian pieces struck in 1892 and 1893 for the exposition in Chicago. The design on the obverse shows them on the deck presumably of the Santa Maria with a radiating sun behind them and a wide rim with type around the outside. The reverse shows fair buildings below a scroll in the middle with a massive eagle above.

59878-4cc1_1.gif.5ac4c6f22e891467aceb99ddbaa4eff4.gif

59879-4d6b_1.gif.13b51e68b4221f8b10bbe75eed7a5b22.gif

Rey, it is HK220. The bronze is listed as "Size 23, Very Scarce." The Hibler/Kappen book doesn't provide a complete breakdown of the various sizes, but "21" is 33mm and "28" is 45mm. I'm guessing that yours is about 35mm. "Very Scarce" indicates that there are 251-500 pieces known. Bear in mind that this estimate was made 45 years ago.

Chris

i wanted one of those hk220 but all i ever see is the 222. that is a good price you paid. ive seen the 222 go for 250-400$. im quite the fan of so called :)

very nice.

Thanks to all for your input and especially the quickness of it. Purchased this evening for $28.00.

Rey

Interesting, Tom, but I didn't find this one in your link.

Absolutely gorgeous prooflike Danish medal from the World's Columbian Exposition, 65mm, white metal, with Columbia leading Columbus on the deck of his ship, hand in hand. Medal is one of the more striking of all the many Columbian pieces struck in 1892 and 1893 for the exposition in Chicago. The design on the obverse shows them on the deck presumably of the Santa Maria with a radiating sun behind them and a wide rim with type around the outside. The reverse shows fair buildings below a scroll in the middle with a massive eagle above.

Victor, it isn't in the Hibler/Kappen book either. Maybe it will be in the updated version that the SCDCC is putting together.

Chris