• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some new coin picks...and interesting results.

17 posts in this topic

Jom,

There is no question in my mind, I would take the second one all week long and twice on Sunday. It is a cleaner coin and the toning is more appealing to my eye than the electric neon look of the first one.

John

It's no doubt the same coin. Is the first pic one taken by GreatToning and the second by you when you received the coin?

If you haven't seen pics of his, he really knows how to capture all of the colors on the coin.

Michael

Poor man wanna be rich, rich man wanna be king. A king ain't satisfied 'til he rules everything. Tonight I wanna go out and find what I got..... "Badlands" - Bruce Springsteen 1978

One of the best songs ever, some of his greatest lyrics ever! great sig jom

I'm lost on this. 893frustrated.gif

The number one picture is capturing the tone ? Someone please enlighten me on this. In my eyes it is plain ugly. The only thing the picture does is let you know some tone is on the coin.

Ken

One of the best songs ever, some of his greatest lyrics ever! great sig jom

Damn straight! laugh.giflaugh.gif

Yes, it is the same coin. I was just experimenting to see if anyone would notice. Good job! laugh.gif

The second picture I took just a few hours ago. AND...IMO, it is far more representitive than the pic that was up on Ebay (pic #1). Yes, it was "greattoning"'s picture. It just goes to show you that a picture can make a coin look any number of ways.

I also wanted to mention this because there was a discussion over at the PCGS boards that other day where someone (I won't name names) claimed that a toned coin always looks the same no matter what direction you look at it from. Whereas a white lusterous piece changes... Total bull. I can take a shot with the light in any number of directions and the coin will look completely different. In fact, that is the most difficult part of taking accurate pics.

Beware of what you hear on message boards (especially when it comes from me laugh.gif ) and what you "think" you see on Ebay.

jom

Obviously the same coin and I would think that if the second image were accurate, which I could believe to be the case, then the first image would border on fraud.

Obviously the same coin and I would think that if the second image were accurate, which I could believe to be the case, then the first image would border on fraud.

Tom

Not necessarily. I have a 1923 Buff (raw) w/very similar toning - came from one of those early albums w/the plastic slides (made in the 50's - beige w/a black fabric binding). 2 of my buffs that I started collecting as a kid in the 50's toned very colorful - but each different - PCGS graded one, AT'd the other (the 23P) - (must have been the 45 years in the album that caused the "AT"). Also, I have a number of Proof IHCs w/ fabulous colorful toning - but you don't see it "dead on" - the coins have to have a bit of an "angle" to the light source and you get a irridescent "rainbow" effect as you rotate the coin. I suppose if you could take a serious of photos as the coin changes its "orientation angle" & you could have 4-6 diferrent shots of the same coin all with "different" colors - I haven't tried to do this with a camera (yet) but by rotaing the coins, the visual effect is stunning!

However, IF the colors are "enhanced" by a computer program such as Adobe photoshop, then I would agree as the photo becomes a "Misrepresentation" of the coin.

BTW - I agree 100% w/your comments in the "Toned" Comms they are definately AT'd! - those coins are NOT natural toning - the colors are too "harsh" - without the natural transition look as the sulfer "thins" over the surface of the coin.

Newmismatist : I don't think Tom suggested the coin was AT (if that's what you are saying). I think he might feel the picture of the coin is a misrepresention of the coin at sale.

I want to point out that I did not post this thread because I felt the coin was purposely misrepresented. I'm just trying to say that it is very difficult to get a good picture of a toned coins. If I were a seller I can image it being quite a task to do especially if you are selling new coins from week to week. I also wanted to mention that other thread at PCGS about the lighting angles.

I do NOT feel that I was mislead on this coin because I think I've been doing enough photography now that I think I can "decode" the pictures well enough. I have bought things from this seller before and his shots were right on before. Those pics (as I recall) seemed to be digital camera takes. This one seems like a scan however. So maybe that is why the colors seem so vivid. ????

jom

I also wanted to mention this because there was a discussion over at the PCGS boards that other day where someone (I won't name names) claimed that a toned coin always looks the same no matter what direction you look at it from.

Go ahead and mention names. The person who claimed this is either an out and out liar or has no experience whatsoever with toned coinage, either for photography or just to admire. Either way, it's worth knowing you can discount his opinion by approximately 97% and still have enough change left over to get a nice latte at Starbucks.

Beijim

Without looking at any of the replies, I'd say that the coins are identically the same coin! Nice job jom with the effects of photography and the skill in picking up rainbows, which are darn hard to photograph properly. Lighting makes all the difference in the world with seeing the rainbows.

Hoot