• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mailman brought an envelope with a hole in it!

50 posts in this topic

I had bought a 1976s %40 silver proof washie off ebay for $3. Well the envelope came today and it looks like the seller just tossed it in the envelope without it being secured in any way. I can see Qtr marks all around the envelope outside where it looks like it did a lot of bouncing during it's journey before it's escape. I didn't pay ins. on a $3 coin, so I guess I'll just wait to see what the seller would like to do. I emailed this:

Dear jerryk45,

I have some bad news jerry. The envelope showed up today with a hole in the side and no Quarter. There are lots of marks on the envelope where it looks like the quarter did a lot of moving around in the envelope before it found it's way out. I know I didn't pay for insurance as it wasn't a highly valued coin. Do you have any suggestions on what we can do here? thanks, Bobby

I had bought a 1976s %40 silver proof washie off ebay for $3. Well the envelope came today and it looks like the seller just tossed it in the envelope without it being secured in any way. I can see Qtr marks all around the envelope outside where it looks like it did a lot of bouncing during it's journey before it's escape. I didn't pay ins. on a $3 coin, so I guess I'll just wait to see what the seller would like to do. I emailed this:

Dear jerryk45,

I have some bad news jerry. The envelope showed up today with a hole in the side and no Quarter. There are lots of marks on the envelope where it looks like the quarter did a lot of moving around in the envelope before it found it's way out. I know I didn't pay for insurance as it wasn't a highly valued coin. Do you have any suggestions on what we can do here? thanks, Bobby

How do you know that somebody in the Post office didn't get it? The quarter is bouncing around and somebody makes a hole in the envelope and removes it.

Dear jerryk45,

How do you know that somebody in the Post office didn't get it? The quarter is bouncing around and somebody makes a hole in the envelope and removes it.

Who knows!! We are suppose to be able to trust our Government employees.

Unreal, but believable because I once had a seller put a '64 Accented Hair Proof Kennedy (raw, no protection what-so-ever) loose into a regular business size envelope and mail it to me.

When it went through the stamp cancelling machine it left imprints of the half dollar on both sides of the envelope...kind of like a watermark. The half arrived still in the envelope but was damaged beyond collectability.

When I e-mailed the seller he wrote back saying that's how he shipped all his coins and I was the first one to complain! He offered no refund, to send it back for replacement...nothing. The last time I turned in bullion silver, in it went, another coin lost to the hobby.

I kept checking his feedback after I neg him/he negged me in retalliation...soon, the negs started comming in for various reasons and in no time he closed his account.

Some people are just arrogant or ignorant...some are a combination of both.

Who knows!! We are suppose to be able to trust our Government employees.

WHAT!!!! Where does it say that?

Every Post Office has a pop machine in the back. If I'm short a quarter what else can I do? :baiting:

The quarter most likely came out during the passing of the envelope thru the machine reader and the printing of the bar code on the bottom of the envelope.

The post man told me this once when I sent a car key in the mail and my grandma got the envelope with a hole in it. He said you have to write on the envelope

hand cancel otherwise it goes thru the machine and anything that is hard inside can get pushed out the other side.

I also don't think the post man would go thru the work to get a quarter out. If he got caught it would a big felony for him.

Well how about this response from the seller:

Dear bsshog40,

That's not bad news. Everyone is still alive? Everyone's head is still attached? Then the problem can be fixed. I'll send you another. (Hope you appreciate my attempt at humor). Please send me your address & I'll send you another one. :-)

Pretty sure I got it as a part of a trade...so really it would only cost me a stamp. I'll put it on the pay it forward, if you want it, claim it!

Pretty sure I got it as a part of a trade...so really it would only cost me a stamp. I'll put it on the pay it forward, if you want it, claim it!

Thank you sir, that is very generous of you. I will wait to see if the seller comes thru. I've actually had very good luck with sellers on ebay. I've yet to ever have gotten taken for. :wishluck:

Why didn't this person (seller) buy some flips and corrugated cardboard, (prepasted) coin shippers and then put that into a padded Jiffy Envelope? I would have paid him the extra $2.00 for the favor. If you don't get the quarter, Bobby, I'll also send you one out of an old proof set I have. He really didn't expect the loose quarter to get there, did he? In Northern California, local postal workers stole about every fourth, insured coin that I ordered. So, I started doing everything 2nd Day Fedex for $7.00.

Why didn't this person (seller) buy some flips and corrugated cardboard, (prepasted) coin shippers and then put that into a padded Jiffy Envelope? I would have paid him the extra $2.00 for the favor. If you don't get the quarter, Bobby, I'll also send you one out of an old proof set I have. He really didn't expect the loose quarter to get there, did he? In Northern California, local postal workers stole about every fourth, insured coin that I ordered. So, I started doing everything 2nd Day Fedex for $7.00.

I hear ya on the packing there OT3. I've sent out one coin before but it was in a padded envelope and a 2x2. I would've thought that most people no better. I also appreciate your very generous offer there too my friend. Hopefully I'll get the one from the seller and no one will be out, well, except him. I hope that he learns from this one. I don't like seeing anybody have to shell out another coin because of a simple mistake. It's money lost for him.

When someone takes the time to bid on your auction and pay for your auction why wouldn't you bother to stick a couple pieces of cardboard in the envelope. Big item or small item, someone took the time to bid and pay for it, the item deserves a little care and attention. His e-mail response was interesting.

If he doesn't make good on it, I'll send you an extra I have.

If it should come to this, make sure that the quarter doesn't slide around in the envelope. The best way to prevent this from happening is to attach it to the inside of the envelope with some duct tape.

Chris

If it should come to this, make sure that the quarter doesn't slide around in the envelope. The best way to prevent this from happening is to attach it to the inside of the envelope with some duct tape.

Chris

:signfunny: Actually you would have thought the seller would've thought better. After all, this was a Proof coin!

Chris

I recently returned a half dollar to a seller. It was in a flip, and I didn't want it sliding around the bubble mailer, so I taped it to the side of the envelope. Worked just fine.

IMO, some folks that sell coins on eBay are just insufficiently_thoughtful_persons with out a lick of common cents!

Good Luck!

I agree.36_2_59.gif

I just sent out over 20 coins on ebay. This is the way I packaged from the inside out. First I put the coin in an airtite holder, which I placed in a kraft 2x2 envelope which I put in a cardboard mailer (the ones that you fold in half and the stickum holds it together. Same size as a business envelope). I then mailed them off in a business size envelope. The postage is more and the cost of the supplies but customer service should always be #1, not just turning a quick buck.

I just sent out over 20 coins on ebay. This is the way I packaged from the inside out. First I put the coin in an airtite holder, which I placed in a kraft 2x2 envelope which I put in a cardboard mailer (the ones that you fold in half and the stickum holds it together. Same size as a business envelope). I then mailed them off in a business size envelope. The postage is more and the cost of the supplies but customer service should always be #1, not just turning a quick buck.

Slight OVERKILL dont you think :)

I do the same thing, Victor, but I also use a thick craft board envelope over the sticky mailer, inside a business envelope, closed with nylon tape.

I do the same thing, Victor, but I also use a thick craft board envelope over the sticky mailer, inside a business envelope, closed with nylon tape.

Delivered by Armored Guard :)

Dear jerryk45,

Give the BOZO his first Neg :)

Dear jerryk45,

Give the BOZO his first Neg :)

I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt here and wait to see if he mails me another. He says he will and I like to give a person the time to make it right and do good by thier word.