• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1887 VAM-1A Donkey Tail Morgan Dollar - Overdate?

3 posts in this topic

I posted this ATS yesterday and got some pretty favorable responses. The coin in question is currently in the mail, on it's way to Leroy Van Allen for examination. John Roberts (ANACS dollar attributor) added the possibility of an overdate to the VAMWorld description following the post- he, too noticed the possible overdate, and sent a lower-grade example for examination with no conclusive results. The coin on VAMWorld is a different one than the one posted here and ATS, so it's definitely a die variety.

I was photographing this 1887 Donkey Tail (ANACS AU-53) for one of our sellers last week, and in cropping the photos, I noticed what looked like a raised curve next to the 7 in the date. Upon closer examination, I found it to be a raised, curved area of metal. I asked the seller to have a look, and he noticed it as well. I find it very similar to the 7/6 varieties of that year, but it is not as pronounced or sharp. It is visible on this coin with the naked eye. It was difficult to photograph, but I was finally able to get a good shot of it.

87anomaly.jpg

Here's a comparison of the two known 1887/6 overdates (pics from VAMWorld), and the Donkey Tail:

vamcomparison.jpg

And, some pics of the entire coin:

87obv.jpg

87rev.jpg

It looks like a totally recut over-date. There is either doubling or recutting on the two "8"'s as well. New VAM?

It looks like a totally recut over-date. There is either doubling or recutting on the two "8"'s as well. New VAM?

The current theory, from what I'm seeing in responses to the posts on PCGS and VAMWorld, is that this is found on all VAM-1A examples. If this is the case, then there might be a revision to the 1A description. I'm hoping that it can be determined that more than 1 obverse die was used in the making of the Donkey Tails- that would mean a totally new VAM!