• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why won't the grading services holder coins of questionalble authenticity?

21 posts in this topic

A grading service puts its opinion in writing that a coin is of questionalble authenticity when they send it back to you without holdering. As long as they don't put a grade on the coin, it just seems to me there would be nothing different for them if they put the coin in a holder with their opinion written on a paper in the holder.

The reason I am asking this question is, I would like to display and protect my supposedly counterfiet Morgan micro-o coins in a holder with a description of the coin being of questionable authenticity even if the coin is not graded.

I think one of the primary reasons may have to do with their (NGC) guarantee of compensation. If they should holder a counterfeit, how could you expect them to determine, or agree to, fair compensation should something happen to the coin in the holder.

Chris

I think one of the primary reasons may have to do with their (NGC) guarantee of compensation. If they should holder a counterfeit, how could you expect them to determine, or agree to, fair compensation should something happen to the coin in the holder.

Chris

I think most people would agree that they wouldn't need to put any kind of guarantee on such coins. They're fakes. At best NGC would need to compensate for melt value if one of the silver or gold rounds (in the case of the nice fakes) were lost while in the possession of the company and insure them for melt when shipped back to the owner. After the owner receives them back NGC needs no guarantee or warranty since no grade is going to be assigned and they aren't promising authenticity (quite the opposite). What happens to the "coin" after that is completely in the hands of the owner.

However, I would want these holders to say "COUNTERFEIT" in big bold letters.

Chris

I think most people would agree that they wouldn't need to put any kind of guarantee on such coins. They're fakes. At best NGC would need to compensate for melt value if one of the silver or gold rounds (in the case of the nice fakes) were lost while in the possession of the company and insure them for melt when shipped back to the owner. After the owner receives them back NGC needs no guarantee or warranty since no grade is going to be assigned and they aren't promising authenticity (quite the opposite). What happens to the "coin" after that is completely in the hands of the owner.

However, I would want these holders to say "COUNTERFEIT" in big bold letters.

How could you prove that the coin was (almost) pure silver or gold and not plated. Should NGC cut them in half to make sure that the core isn't lead or some other metal?

Chris

How could you prove that the coin was (almost) pure silver or gold and not plated. Should NGC cut them in half to make sure that the core isn't lead or some other metal?

Chris

If you can confirm that the coin is the proper diameter and thickness then you just have to weigh it. Lead is considerably heavier than silver, other metals are considerably lighter. If the volume is held fixed the weight will tell the tale.

Why holder a questionable coin. I wouldn't think that a TPG would put thier reputation on the line for a coin that is questionable.

Chris

If you can confirm that the coin is the proper diameter and thickness then you just have to weigh it. Lead is considerably heavier than silver, other metals are considerably lighter. If the volume is held fixed the weight will tell the tale.

Less volume of a heavier metal combined with more volume of a lighter metal can still produce the same weight, diameter and thickness.

Chris

Why holder a questionable coin. I wouldn't think that a TPG would put thier reputation on the line for a coin that is questionable.

I'm just saying that it could be done. I don't necessarily agree that it should be done.

There are actually a few "fake" coins that get slabbed, but they are conveniently labeled "restrikes". The 1804 restrike cent is the first that pops into mind. I believe Machins Mills tokens also get slabbed.

There are actually a few "fake" coins that get slabbed, but they are conveniently labeled "restrikes". The 1804 restrike cent is the first that pops into mind. I believe Machins Mills tokens also get slabbed.

The 1804 cent restrike at least used real mint dies (discarded by the mint and heavily rusted). The so called New Haven restikes are slabbed and they are counterfeits.

I was thinking about the 1787 New Haven restikes of the Fugio cent.....I used to have a beautiful example....restike or counterfiet or whatever you want to call it and it was in a PCGS OGH. (thumbs u

I would have to argue that coins struck clandestinely outside the mint using original dies are counterfeit coins. For that matter, one could argue unauthorized issues (1913 nickel comes to mind) are fake coins.

I was thinking about the 1787 New Haven restikes of the Fugio cent.....I used to have a beautiful example....restike or counterfiet or whatever you want to call it and it was in a PCGS OGH. (thumbs u

How can they be restrikes when they weren't struck by original dies?