• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Found some USA gold today at my local auction room

20 posts in this topic

Hi all.. what do you think of my latest pick ups..

the first is a 1878 S $20 gold coin

It was in a mount

P1010047.jpg

P1010048.jpg

But it is now free :applause:

20u.jpg

20ru.jpg

the coin must have been in it for quite a long time considering the amount of gunk around the edge.. Would you advice the use of acetone to remove the grease ??

The second one i picked up was a 1911 S $5 Indian

5u.jpg

5ur.jpg

As you know i am not into gold and i am going sell them.. what would you recommend . will they sell better slabbed or raw.. would Ebay be the place to sell them or a "proper" auction house.. or the for sale section on hear.. or are they just scrap value coins.

all suggestions welcome cheers dooly

I would say the $20 is just a scrap value coin, since it's ex-jewelry. The 1911 $5 would sell for more than melt value, but if I were buying it, I would want it in a slab, since these are notorious for counterfeits.

I think that both are only worth their weight in gold. That looks like a lower grade (XF) Indian worth about $260 to a dealer slabbed. And the 78S wouldn't slab anyway. I wouldnt waste time with slabbing, unless you want to have them placed in "Genuine" holders at NCS for selling purposes (just pay for the slab, and no grading fee).

I would say the $20 is just a scrap value coin, since it's ex-jewelry. The 1911 $5 would sell for more than melt value, but if I were buying it, I would want it in a slab, since these are notorious for counterfeits.

? how can you tell a counterfeit 1911 mine is 8.3g is that an indication ? also what would the Scrap be on a $20 at the moment ? it is 32.5g without the mount

cheers Chad (thumbs u

? how can you tell a counterfeit 1911 mine is 8.3g is that an indication ? also what would the Scrap be on a $20 at the moment ? it is 32.5g without the mount

cheers Chad (thumbs u

The weight might be an indication but many good counterfeits are the right weight and fineness.

Dooly, most counterfeit $5 indians have toolmarks in the recess of the neck, look there. Also look for depressions on the reverse in the feathers of the eagle. Hope that helps

(thumbs u Thanks chad ? what carat are these coins classed at (please excuse my thickness) also no one has answered my acidtone question.

(thumbs u Thanks chad ? what carat are these coins classed at (please excuse my thickness) also no one has answered my acidtone question.

It's 90% gold, so I assume that means ~22K.

Acetone can't hurt it, but I don't know if it will remove the gunk or not.

The 1911-S gold $5 is authentic. A fake would be high end AU or mint state. As far as the double eagle goes, I would put it back in it's bezel and sell it as a piece of jewelry.

It's 90% gold, so I assume that means ~22K.

Acetone can't hurt it, but I don't know if it will remove the gunk or not.

Acetone will not remove the gunk. It was most likely soldered into the holder - the silvery substance is actually metal. Jewelry pieces are usually either best left as jewelry or melted, they have little value to a collector unless its a rare date.

the gold coins in chain pieces seem to sell lower than melt. i have some stuff like this that i tried to sell a while back and i will get more now for selling to a jeweler buddy. i would sell as coin and sell the bezal seperate :)

i work in jewelery and right now im doing more sales in coins :)

The weight might be an indication but many good counterfeits are the right weight and fineness.

Dooly, most counterfeit $5 indians have toolmarks in the recess of the neck, look there. Also look for depressions on the reverse in the feathers of the eagle. Hope that helps

Looks like those classes paid off, Kevin! :)

Looks like those classes paid off, Kevin! :)

Thanks Just Bob!

Looking at lots of counterfeit gold was the best part.

By far, $1 gold pieces and 2 1/2$ indian pieces were the hardest to spot.

Dooly, the double eagle is 90% gold, so just under 22 carat, it contained 0.9675 troy ounce of pure gold when minted, but with wear and jewelry it might be slightly less than that. I am sure if you put it in the marketplace forum for melt someone would probably buy it and save you some eBay fees. My guess would be you probably wouldn't do much better than melt on eBay, but you never know...remember what PT Barnum said!

I know very little about gold dooly...but by the looks of it, you still have a lot of remants from your most recent dump site dig still lodged under your finger nails. :baiting:

The double eagle has .967 troy ounces of gold in it, when minted. The half eagle is a better date but is so worn that gold content would be lower than 1/4 of .967.