• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade 1885-O Morgan Dollar

14 posts in this topic

Guess the grade and give me your reasons why. General comments about the coin also welcome! I will post the answer after 3 people get it right.

MorganDollar1885-ONGCStarGreatFalls.jpg

Good Luck!

I'm going to say MS67, but I cheated a little. Here is mine. The mark in the field on the obverse is a break in the toning.

I think yours is in better condition than mine. Nice one! (thumbs u

Chris

59638-_MG_2224.JPG.319b49f955143ae374bcda3d2278e73c.JPG

59639-_MG_2225.JPG.bf40fae51a052d72a28c46d34fef1c76.JPG

• Administrator

MS64?

CAn't tell if that reverse is just a poorer quality picture or if it's more beat up?

I would place a grade of MS64 due to the worn die/strike issue-I can't see it going higher(but then I don't grade Morgans for a living). Here is one I just got back this week from NGC graded MS64-I argued but to no avail. lol

Jim

1885OMorganInhandsealed-1.jpg

MS66*

Based on what I've seen in other posts over the past two years about weak strikes not affecting the grade, I agree with 66*. It appears very clean and mark free on the obverse. The reverse is hard to tell about any blemishes due to the photo. But it looks like a great coin. (thumbs u

I will post the answer after 3 people get it right.

What time next year do you think that will occur?

Chris

I think that is enough DIE wear to affect the grade on the obverse almost giving it an AU look. The reverse is typical of "O" mints light breast feather strike - Not to my liking but typical. The toning NGC like to give stars to so hmmmm.

Forgiving it its Imperfections I am going for MS64* ( Would have 65'd it if the Obverse was a little more defined )