• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eisenhower 1974-S Mintmark Variety?

8 posts in this topic

I searched and couldn't find this listed anywhere -- is there a variety based on the location of the S mintmark on business-strike issues? Take a look at these two images from Teletrade:

c25392421-a.jpg

c25392420-a.jpg

Does anyone know if the mintmark was hand-punched at that time? I've seen positioning variations on many, many Kennedy halves from bank rolls that I've searched.

Chris

I believe the mintmark was still hand punched at this time. I'm not entirely sure, but the fact that the mintmark is in two very different positions would tend to indicate that to me. In fact, I can see no other way this would happen. As for a variety based on the location of the mintmark - no. Since it was punched by hand, it could wind up in all sorts of places. There might be a premium if there was a mintmark buried in his neck or something, as that is interesting, but normal mintmark variation is expected.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Mintmarks were hand punched on all non-proofs until 1990-91, when it was phased in for each denomination. There may have been a few exceptions for MS commemoratives as far back as the mid-1980s.

Mintmarks were first added to the proof hubs in 1985 and then phased in with the circulation coins a denomination at a time between 1986 and finishing up with the cents in I believe in 1990 or 91.

Alrighty, I stand corrected. Or not corrected, but informed. Those just seemed pretty far apart from each other.

Also, would anyone happen to know of a guide to Eisenhower errors? The Red Book lists a whopping zero, as does coinfacts.com . Stuff like "common" DDO/R, and this "peg leg" variety that I saw while reading last night?

Also, would anyone happen to know of a guide to Eisenhower errors? The Red Book lists a whopping zero, as does coinfacts.com . Stuff like "common" DDO/R, and this "peg leg" variety that I saw while reading last night?

Here you go...

The owner is a forum member.

Here you go...

The owner is a forum member.

The author was a forum member a couple of years ago, as well. ;)