• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Care to guess?1900 Morgan DMPL

18 posts in this topic

I am a newb at this site having just joined last week. This Morgan is in a PCI holder and it's going to NGC for crossover.The pictures came out okay,except the mirrors. I had to scale them to 460x450 to fit the 200k limit.Maybe I should use less colors.Hope they are good enough. Anyone care to guess the grade now and what NGC might assign?

59486-19005.jpg.967f84b607a769f6ea1d355f09fa0b9f.jpg

59487-19006.jpg.0680eef1cf389f61a576ef07eee7574e.jpg

Based on those images, I think the coin is a solid MS65 with a chance at MS66. It is impossible to determine whether or not this coin would get a PL or DMPL designation from those photos. However, I immediately become suspicious whenever I see a coin of that quality in a third world holder. From the photos, I can't detect anything really wrong with the coin so I will assume that it has something to do with the PL designation.

I don't collect PL's or DMPL's so I had to do a little research in Heritage's auction archives. Here is what I found. There are only 10 DMPL graded 1900 Morgans combined for both NGC & PCGS and they carry a very hefty price tag. The PCGS price guide for a 1900 MS65 DMPL is $15K and Numismedia is $27K. The PL version carries a price tag of $2,500 and $700 respectively.

I suspect that the coin was submitted to PCI to get the DMPL designation and that it is really an MS65 PL by NGC's standards. Either way, best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

Welcome to the boards, prudden! :hi:

I'm going to guess that your Morgan currently resides in a MS67 holder. Future NGC grade: MS65, maybe 66. Keep us informed.

BTW, if you would like to post larger pics, a membership at Photobucket is free, as are memberships at several other picture hosting sites, and will enable you to post any size (within reason) that you want.

First of all, Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

I would guess MS-65, no DMPL or PL. However, it also looks a little hazed, so maybe a proper conservation effort would yield a PL.

You guys are petty good. It is in an MS 66 PCI holder. They were once considered a pretty good grading company.

Because of the toning and glare from the holder, the mirrors don't come out well in photos. I think it has a very good shot at PL and very possibly DMPL.With light behind the holder I can read newsprint with no distortion.But,I can't tell DMPL from PL half the time anyway. I know there is a 4" or better criteria for the mirrors.But what text size? I'll let NGC figure it out.

DMPL would be fantastic,but I'll be fine with PL. It really is a beauty though,no matter the grade.

One of my other submissions is a raw 1899 Indian Cent. I can't seem to get very good pictures,but I've been told it's at least a 65 RED. Can't wait to get these sent off.

Nice Coin.

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

It saddens me to say that Pete is one of four of our members who passed away last year. Rest in peace, Pete, Rey, Chad & Lou!

Chris

Nice Coin.

It saddens me to say that Pete is one of four of our members who passed away last year. Rest in peace, Pete, Rey, Chad & Lou!

Chris

I don't know about you Chris, but it always makes me feel weird when an old thread gets dug up and it contains posts from a member who is now collecting coins in heaven. RIP Pete (and Rey, Chad & Lou)

Nice Coin.

Chris

I don't know about you Chris, but it always makes me feel weird when an old thread gets dug up and it contains posts from a member who is now collecting coins in heaven. RIP Pete (and Rey, Chad & Lou)

I don't feel weird, but I sure do miss them.

Chris