• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Small Accomplishment For The Type Set-Seated Half Dimes Finished

34 posts in this topic

In my experience, large tasks can be made to appear to be more manageable if they are broken down into a series of smaller, relatively attainable goals. Such is the case for the complete US type set that I have been building for over a decade. This set has over 100-pieces in it as defined by both tradition and the TPGs (PCGS and NGC). My collecting interests have led me to list my set on the NGC registry only, even though nearly all of my coins are in PCGS holders, because I believe the NGC registry offers a better type set experience to the collector.

Recently, one of the smaller, relatively attainable goals was met within my set. It was the completion of the Seated half-dime section. This may not seem like an ambitious goal, but it should be kept in mind that there five coins required for the Seated half-dime section and twenty-six coins required total throughout the various denominations for Seated Liberty type if the mother of all Seated type, the Gobrecht dollar, is included in the count. Therefore, I will embrace any tangible progress that I can make as far as building a quality collection is concerned.

The complete type set requires 115-coins and I only have amassed 41-pieces after my greater than one decade pursuit. Of these 115-pieces there are 96-issues that are 1964 or before and since this is the practical cutoff for my participation in this set it means that I have finished only just over 40% of this endeavor. The five half-dimes shared come from various sources over a period of years, but I was fortunate enough to have Mike Printz graciously image the coins for me, otherwise there would be no thread since I cannot approximate the imaging prowess of Mike, Mark, Brandon, Russ and others. The images are also fairly accurate, though of course the coins would appear slightly different in-hand. One thing to note is the change in Ms. Liberty's form over the years as she goes from an athletic form to one that suggests a more sedentary lifestyle. For a more extreme example of the change, please check out the Gobrecht dollar where Ms. Liberty has the physique of someone who plays in the WNBA. On a less subtle note, one should examine how the reverse wreath changes over the years.

Below please find images of the five coins as well as a link to my registry set for those interested. While it is nice to have these coins in place, it reminds me that I still have a great deal of hunting to do for the remainder of the set.

E1837P64.jpg

E1837P64R.jpg

E1839P65.jpg

E1839P65R.jpg

E1853P65.jpg

E1853P65R.jpg

E1858N66.jpg

E1858N66R.jpg

E1872P65.jpg

E1872P65R.jpg

[font:Courier New] Dang it, Tom, you coin-deity, you!! (worship)

The 1837 no stars is one of the finest types that I've ever seen and I've been searching for awhile now.

The 1839 is nearly the 1837's equal. An incredible coin!

The others ain't too shabby either but the two I mentioned makes my palms sweaty and my heart race. :cloud9:

No wonder why I can't find any, you, RGT and Toyo are suckin' 'em up like some huge black hole. doh! [/font]

(thumbs u (thumbs u

Victor, did you change the typeface you use for your responses or did you inadvertantly scan a portion of a mimeographed ransom note? hm hm hm

Tom, those coins are exceptionally beautiful! Congratulations on the milestone.

I made a small accomplishment recently as well, I completed the Capped Bust Half Dollar portion of my Type Set. It's only 3 coins, but hey, it's something!

Tom, congratulations on your accomplishment of acquiring a completed type set of a difficult series to find examples of at the quality level that you have accomplished. All the coins are notable for their quality but the Type 1 and Type 2 coins are absolutely magnificent. I admire your tenacity in pursuing only the highest quality examples. I can understand why it has taken you this long to advance as far as you have on the entire set.

I am not nearly as patient as you and have settled for less than ultimately satisfactory examples at times. However, I admire your patience and perserverance.

Victor, did you change the typeface you use for your responses or did you inadvertantly scan a portion of a mimeographed ransom note? hm hm hm

36_11_6.gif Ransom Note 36_11_6.gif

Those are fantastic coins TomB. ^^

Tom, of course the standard of those coins is what we've all come to expect from you, but I must agree with Victor and say that 1837 is SPECTACULAR!!! Congrats on finishing this small section of your collection.

36_11_6.gif Ransom Note 36_11_6.gif

Those are fantastic coins TomB. ^^

:signfunny:

Awesome Tom. I surely love the toning on that 58'. They are all beautiful and congrats on the hard work for where you're at with them!! (thumbs u

Tom, what a mini type set you have there. I love each one. I also just looked at your registry type set and that is very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

:sumo: [font:Courier New] I tried cutting letters from the newspaper and pasting them on the computer screen but, for whatever reason, the post didn't show up on the NGC boards.

I plan on calling Arch to get to the bottom of it. [/font] :sumo:

Great set Tom! (worship)

I agree with you that the artwork on these and most of the other seated coins went down after Robert Ball Hughes took over as the die sinker. Gobrecht's lady Liberties were much more attractive, at least from the neck down.

I can tell you that the other Seated Liberty type coins are much tougher for the most part. In fact three of the holes in my set are Liberty Seated coins, and I've had little luck in finding them. With grade-flation the MS or PR-64 coins that I used to buy now appear in MS or PR-65 money for a lot more money. Recently one of the larger Internet auction dealers had an 1855 quarter that would have fit perfectly into my set. Unfortunately it was in an MS-65 holder, but the coin was only an MS-64. :( That bit of over grading more than doubled the price, and I had to pass. I would have been a strong buyer at the MS-64 level. (shrug)

Fantastic post Tom, and congratulations on your success. I love the golden hue and subtle colors in the 53. Again great work.

I did the (8) types and mini-types of seated liberty dimes a few years ago and that ran out my patience quotient for only AU58 to MS65 coins. I would not be able to handle the other denominations. Fortunately, after the single year type coin of 1860, Miss Liberty was slimmed back down on the dimes, back to her svelte, young original figure

Lovely, Lovely group of SLHD's Tom!!! (thumbs u :applause:(worship)

It is obvious that you put a lot of time and effort into finding just the right coins for your set. It is always nice to see true coin collecting devotion. I'm not sure which one is might favorite, but it would be one of the middle three.

Tom---- Almost 50 years ago now, my Jesuit Latin teacher taught us that your approach to collecting type coins would fall under what the Romans would have called "divide and conquer". Which, in my opinion, is an excellent approach---as one could easily be overwhelmed otherwise.

Course, with the kind of material that you are hunting, one must take the coin that "fits" whenever it becomes available.

And Charlie, my friend, Tom can be more patient. He has probably a lot more time to be patient than either of us. It's nice to start the quest at a younger age. That allows one to be a little more selective.

At any rate, Tom, an excellent grouping. Like most of the other guys, I really like the 1837. But, surprisingly----for a toner lover, I seem to find the 1872 to be most appealing to my eyes. Sort of a softer look. Congrats. Bob [supertooth]

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It truly did take quite a while to obtain all of these and there were many attractive coins that were passed over before these were picked.

I would also like to echo something that Bill wrote and that is that the half-dimes have been the easiest denomination to find, in my experience, among all the Seated Liberty coins. Most of the dimes and quarters are found with some frequency, though the NS dime and the ND quarter are also tough to find nice. The half dollars are much more of a bear with the 1873-1874 WA issue really hard to find in an acceptable condition at an acceptable price.

The half dollars are much more of a bear with the 1873-1874 WA issue really hard to find in an acceptable condition at an acceptable price.

Is this grade dependent? I found a '74 with reasonable ease (maybe it was just luck), yet I have not been able to find an acceptable '53 or a '54-'55.

You bring up an excellent point, Zach, in that my statement was meant to reflect my grade preference and other criteria. It would be wonderful to find an MS64 or PF64 that was accurately graded with essentially original skin and positive eye appeal, but this is not something I find unless it is in an MS65 holder and then the price goes through the roof.

Disciplined, focused, patient, discerning and knowledgeable are words that come to mind when reading about Tom's collecting. (thumbs u

Disciplined, focused, patient, discerning and knowledgeable are words that come to mind when reading about Tom's collecting. (thumbs u

Agreed. Anyone who wants to spend an enjoyable and educational couple of hours should take a look at his registry set.

I took me over a year to find an one AU, 1863, originally skinned, naturally toned, half dollar that I liked for my Civil War Set. The Flowing Hair, Draped Bust, Heraldic Eagle, Gobrecht and (2) Liberty Seated type dollar series are the bears to obtain IMHO, especially if you want to buy original looking coins without taking a second mortgage on the house. However, Tom already has an excellent start on the dollar series.

Tom, I'm breathless. That is NO MEAN TASK finding such perfectly beautiful coins to make this set. Congratulations on a job well done.