• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade Request for 1907 Indian Head Cent

17 posts in this topic

A recent (today) purchase of mine. I'd like to make the note that the tiny scratch in the field to the left of the nose is also visible only under certain lighting conditions.

I have tried very hard to get the color to match what the coin looks like in-hand, but the brown on the high points of the obverse is also not nearly as brown in-hand (though I would still classify this coin as an RB given my earlier thread today). I tried to capture some of the beautiful magenta toning that's taken place in the middle-relief and the turquoise that's between the magenta and the highest points.

Oh, and I'm also working on my coin presentation skills in photos, so if you want to comment on that, feel free. ;)

001_1907.jpg

I am gonna say MS64 and I think the toning as well as the photo presentation is outstanding. I like the coin very much and I don't even collect IHC's

If I had to guess, I'd say I didn't see it going any lower than 64. While I occasionally like that style of photo presentation, I am increasingly finding it a bit cliched, not to mention distracting from the coin itself.

You've got a very attractive coin there. I'd be happy to have it in my collection.

I would grade it MS-64, R&B. I suspect that the color has been enhanced a little, but it would still grade. For that reason I don't think that you would get a "red" designation on it. When a copper coin has had the color “restored” a bit, the services tend to call it R&B even when it looks like it might rate a “red” designation.

If I had to guess, I'd say I didn't see it going any lower than 64. While I occasionally like that style of photo presentation, I am increasingly finding it a bit cliched, not to mention distracting from the coin itself.

You've got a very attractive coin there. I'd be happy to have it in my collection.

I agree on all points.

Commercially, I think the coin would certify at MS-63 RB, possibly better. But from the standpoint of a "true" grade, I do not believe that is truly an uncirculated coin.

I know it's still a tad early for me to chime in, since I like to get more "unbiased" opinions, but to me it looks like an MS-65RB. I've looked through the Heritage photos of ~10 MS-65 and ~15 MS-64 photos, and though I couldn't tell much of any difference in scratches (64 vs 65) through the slabs, I thought this coin looked nicer in terms of color/luster than about half of the MS-65 coins. This coin is also at least a point higher than the 1881 IHC I posted about 2-3 weeks ago that the resounding opinion was MS-64 ( http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=2&Number=2377997&Searchpage=2&Main=126338&Words=astrostu&topic=0&Search=true#Post2377997 ).

As for posting in the wrong forum, I think that grading forum was less than a few hours old when I posted here, so gimme a break! :)

Okay, so now with that info (or without), if people have further comments or new folks have new grade opinions, please post! I also think I'll take the two coins (the one posted here and on the other thread I mentioned) to the local coin club this week and ask for some opinions where people can look at them in-hand.

Commercially, I think the coin would certify at MS-63 RB, possibly better. But from the standpoint of a "true" grade, I do not believe that is truly an uncirculated coin.

I agree with James on this.....The reverse looks like a true Unc. However, the obverse appears to have a slight amount of rub as if it was in a folder or something. I would grade the coin AU58 and would probably pay a slight premium over AU money for it.

Don't use Heritage photos as a criteria. Their photos are off about three shades to the brown side, normally.

Don't use Heritage photos as a criteria. Their photos are off about three shades to the brown side, normally.

I'm not trying to use them for color, just for surface scratches/features.

Not to mention the forum name doesn't make sense

Also, this forum is titled "US Coins." At the very least, there would be an overlap of applicable topics. Perhaps the guess the grade forum should be a sub-forum in the US Coins forum. Or, if you're like me and you prefer to keep things simple, they should have left well enough alone and never created another forum.