• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about some advice on a decision I need to make.

39 posts in this topic

Bobby, I have some coins that are on the registry and also in a Capital Plastics holder. You own the graded coin and are entitled to using the grading slip in the slab. If the coin is not presently in the slab, you still own the grading right to the coin. As long as it is the same exact coin, there is no ethical barrier to maintaining the listing in the registry.

I have a single T2 Proof SBA that has been in a Capital holder for (20) years. As long as it is in the Capital holder and I own the SBA set, I have a right to use the coin grading tab, which is taped inside the capital holder box lid. The capital holder is made of acrylic, protects the coin and it's grade as well as a slab would. If I sell the SBA set, I will remove and destroy the grading tab, as well as removing the coin from the registry.

Thanks OT3. I didn't want to cross any lines with adding it to registry and then cracking the coin and thinking that it voids the grade. Which I'm sure it would but that really wasn't my concern anyway. Even tho' there was a majority of Not to Crack, I would've much rather had it in my Dansco than my registry. But Harv and I are working out a deal and like I stated before, it will work out for both registry and dansco. I appreciate all comments. I was alittle surprised by the opinions tho'. I wouldn't have thought that so many would have defended keeping the coin in the slab. Maybe the variety had some contribution to this. I think that if this would have been a normal proof jeff, that the opinions might have changed. thanks all!!

I can't believe people cracking coins just to put into an album. In doing that, you not only invalidate the TPG Grade, you devalue the coin to raw, consequently MS 60 / PF 60 when offering it at a show.

I can't believe people cracking coins just to put into an album. In doing that, you not only invalidate the TPG Grade, you devalue the coin to raw, consequently MS 60 / PF 60 when offering it at a show.

I'm sorry to disagree with you but I do not consider a coin that is raw to be de-valued. I'm interested in the coin, not the slab.

I'm sorry to disagree with you but I do not consider a coin that is raw to be de-valued. I'm interested in the coin, not the slab.

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

Well it's funny I need to bring this subject up again. Now I have two Jeffersons sitting in slabs. Both are of the same grade but one of these are going into my Dansco. One's in a PCGS slab and the other in an NGC slab. So which one would you crack??

I agree with ya Harv. I think I'm gonna compare the two for the best quality and condition and crack the worse of the two for my album. Maybe when I have both in hand I'll take pics and let the forum decide for me.

I think the answer here really varies depending on the coin, and the situation.

While the coin is still the coin, and is still ultimately collectible, in certain cases, removing a coin from a slab could certainly decrease it's value or marketability to a potential buyer, if you ever planned to sell the coin.

For instance, take any modern proof issue coins. Once a proof coins is handled, even carefully, it may be marred by fingerprints, or even when handled with gloves, there may be dust which accumulates, or when placing in albums, marks may damage the surface of the coin, which actually DO lower the value of the coin, where a PF69 coin might decrease (if it were to be re-graded) to a PF66 or whatever. Breathing on it, a sneeze, or what-have-you ---anything could affect the appearance of the coin once removed from the sealed slab which offers the best protection available.

Other coins, as far as "marketability" may be more desirable if they are graded, and that may also depend on which grading service did the grading. For instance, if the grading was done by NGC or PCGS, removing a PF70 or MS70 coin to place it in an album is almost asking for trouble, and taking a risk with a precious asset. If the coin is graded by these SGS (I think that is the name of one) and is graded somewhere in the realm of AU55, you may lose nothing by removing it from such a slab and placing it in the album. However, taking the same AU55 coin out of a PCGS or NGC slab may be less advisable, because of how those coins can often be traded and sold sight unseen among dealers and collectors.

You're interested in the coin, not the slab - a fair statement.

What about when slabs verify that a coin meets a certain variety?

What about when a slab from a reliable TPG company verifies that a rare coin is genuine , and not a counterfeit coin?

What about when a slab verifies that a coin's origins were unique, giving it a special pedigree such as from the Binion Hoard, or perhaps the Anna of Siam coins, or others some special provenance?

Are you then still ONLY interested in the coin, and not the slab? Or does a slab add to the value or even CREATE the value and appeal of a coin?

Further, a slab can protect coins from deteriorating over the course of time. How many coins have we seen during our years of collecting which were stored in any number of improper fashions in improper materials, causing the coin to be irreparably damaged visually? Whereas, had a coin been encapsulated, the likelihood of deterioration is far less. While coins can change while in a slab, the occurrences of the changes are far less frequent than in raw coins.

When a coin of a particular year has a special variation (a Morgan Dollar with a "Hot Lips" variety, or a 1955 Double Die Obverse Lincoln cent, or any number of "special coins, is there not some reassurance to see the coin certified by a reputable Third Party Grading (TPG) company such as NGC or PCGS, rather than "wondering" if your coin IS that variation, or if it just "looks like" the variation?

What about the NEVER ENDING question which often leads to heartbreak about whether a coin is damaged, such as when it has been improperly cleaned, whizzed, artificially toned, or any of the other reasons for which NGC (or other services) return coins as "no grade" coins, the coins which folks here so commonly refer to as having been "body-bagged."

Having a coin certified by NGC or PCGS helps to alleviate the concern, for instance, of buying a raw coin that you are buying something that may be "damaged goods." Even in the case of damaged coins, encapsulating them to preserve them "from now on" may still be worthwhile when it comes to key coins in a collection, whether they be key dates, special varieties, or just particularly valuable coins. By encapsulating them (such as NCS does), they are preserved for future generations, and not only will the coin be unlikely to incur further damage, but it also serves to teach us about what goes wrong in collecting, and hopefully what mistakes we should all avoid: Don't clean coins (or dip, or whiz them, if these are distinct, subtle differences). Don't artificially tone coins -- you get the idea.

2c