• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about some advice on a decision I need to make.

39 posts in this topic

I just bought a 1979s Type2 Jefferson NGCPF69. I was wanting one for my Dansco but now am thinking about putting it in my registry. Of course, I guess if I kept the label after cracking, I could put it in both right?

I don't know, Bobby. I always thought that having a coin in the registry implied that the holder was still intact..... why not just buy a raw one for the 7070?

Of course, I guess if I kept the label after cracking, I could put it in both right?

Exactly. Why spend money that could be spent elsewhere on a duplicate?

The plastic means nothing.

Okay, with a show of hands, who expected me to say that? ;)

Of course, I guess if I kept the label after cracking, I could put it in both right?

Exactly. Why spend money that could be spent elsewhere on a duplicate?

The plastic means nothing.

Okay, with a show of hands, who expected me to say that? ;)

:hi:

Sounds like ya'll are sticking with saving the slab here. I really got this for a very good price from Ant for my dansco. I do hate cracking the PF69 slab for it, but I really can't afford to buy another one. Oh I hate decisions!

I originally cracked high grade 19th century proofs for my Dansco 7070. Now, I must send them in to be regraded.

If I had it to do over again, I'd never have cracked a single coin.

Oh... and I wasn't calling you "Cracker"! :headbang:

That has got to be the worst (most lame) ethnic slur I've ever heard. I've never felt crunchy or salty in my entire life. :/

SAY NO TO CRACK (_*_)

as the value/demand is all in the plastic

In some cases this is true, but not always.

In this case, I believe it to be true, though I still feel it foolish to buy duplicates of a coin because of a stupid piece of plastic.

That has got to be the worst (most lame) ethnic slur I've ever heard. I've never felt crunchy or salty in my entire life. :/
I'd have to agree with you... who the heck even thought of that one?

SAY NO TO CRACK (_*_)

as the value/demand is all in the plastic

In some cases this is true, but not always.

In this case, I believe it to be true, though I still feel it foolish to buy duplicates of a coin because of a stupid piece of plastic.

That's why I'm selling off my Dansco type coins, not interested in having two set going. I pretty much abhor duplicates and try to get rid of them.

ive got 2 more being graded as we speek :P if you want another i can hook you for the price of the grading for one of them. i should have asked when i got the other 2 sets but didnt think. i am just using them for sales and the $1 & 50c. some day ill find a pf70 for my birth set :)

hit me up :)

Thanks Ant. Looks like the majority is "Say no to crack"! lol Looks like I already may have a raw one in the works. Thanks Harv!

For those of us unfamiliar with the moderns market, is this an expensive coin? I think that's what should drive your decision.

I have a complete SLQ set in XF-AU. The 1916 is the only certified coin in the set. I did not crack it to put it in my album, I just stuck a dateless Type 1 in the slot to show it was filled.

I have a complete SLQ set in XF-AU. The 1916 is the only certified coin in the set. I did not crack it to put it in my album, I just stuck a dateless Type 1 in the slot to show it was filled.

You should take a Dremel tool and engrave the dateless T1 with "CS-LAB" (See Slab) with the "CS-" being above the "LAB". If you ever decide to get rid of it or replace it, you could sell it as a love token.

Chris

I would buy a raw one Bobby but that's up to you.

Agree and it should be cheaper that the slabbed one you now have,

Maybe Cheaper. Ant gave me a great deal on this coin!

I would buy a raw one Bobby but that's up to you.

Agree and it should be cheaper that the slabbed one you now have,

Maybe Cheaper. Ant gave me a great deal on this coin!

Ant offers some great deals, but I don't think it would have been THAT good.

Bobby,

This may be a crazy idea but this is what I am thinking of doing on a couple of Danscos myself. I have a complete set of Peace Dollars, many of which are slabbed, the others reside in a Capitol Plastics Holder. I am wanting to convert to a Dansco Album, I will definitely leave the slabs alone but I am going to place an image of the slabbed coins in the appropriate slots so that they are at least represented in the album. I am also doing this to a few other albums where I may have just a few of the coins graded and really do not want to buy another piece just to fill the album.

Rey

That's not a bad idea Rey. The only problems I see with doing this is if something happens down the road and the need to sell either, would mean dis-placing those coins. The Dansco's to me are of more meaning than the slabbed coins I have. I like the representation of raw coins. I got into the slabbed Jeffs by accident but I'm more into the Dansco than I am the registry coins. Harv has offered me a deal to trade a raw one for a copy of my CD. Can't beat that deal either. So it looks as tho' I still may get both.

Bobby,

I don't disagree with you thought process. The only reason I am doing it that way is I chose to have some of the Peace and other's graded for VAM or value purposes, otherwise I would have left them raw. Kind of a Catch 22. If I was to sell a set such as the Peace they would all go as one, raw and slabbed.

Rey