• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on 1970S Kennedy

13 posts in this topic

I have a Dansco with Kennedys and kept the best ones. I sent in one Kennedy for grading which was a proof 1970S Kennedy. I just checked and my coins have been Finalized.

The 1970 S Kennedy graded as a PF69 Cam. I checked the population here and 794 Cams have been graded and 393 are PF69 with none better. Is this good?

Also I have the Proof Sets from 1968 still in the OGP. What are the chances that one of the Kennedys there would grade better?

Thanks.

That's a good grade on the Kennedy. Top pop, but there are a lot of coins at that grade. So, unfortunately you won't be breaking the bank on this coin, if it would have UCammed, then it woulda been really nice.

As for the 68's, you'd probably be better off buying already slabbed coins as they are pretty cheap. Don't wanna burst your bubble, but it has to be pretty special to be worth some money.

In my experience, the 1970-S is not difficult to find with cameo contrast. However, I don't know how hard it is to find a super-grade like 69. Sounds like a great coin, though!

Thanks for the info. The thing is that I have them in Proof and in a Dansco. I see on Numismedia where they list the value of the 1970S in PF69 Cam as $52.00.

It cost me $12.50 to grade each on the Modern Tier. I sent in five coins with the other four being Modern Commemoratives and my total cost including shipping back to me was $75.00 so that one coin paid for most of the expense.

The other thing is that since I already have the coins in the Dansco from where I got this one look the same plus I already have them in in OGP also then why buy the slab if I can get the same grade or better?

The only problem is that I would also have to break up the proof sets to just get the Kennedy.

Thanks for the info.

In my experience, the 1970-S is not difficult to find with cameo contrast. However, I don't know how hard it is to find a super-grade like 69. Sounds like a great coin, though!

Thanks for the info. As I mentioned in an earlier post Numismedia lists it as $52.00 which pays a big hunk of the total five coins in the shipment.

This coin was out of a Dansco. I also have it in as well as others in OGP and the proof sets from 1968 to the present. taht have never been touched.

As far as the Proofs are concerned then what are the chances that I would get a better grade if I broke up the OGP sets as I am not sure about the value of the other coins.

Thanks for the info

I see on Numismedia where they list the value of the 1970S in PF69 Cam as $52.00.

It doesn't matter what Numismedia, Coin Values, Red Book or any other price guide states as the "value", it's what you can get selling it. What auctions have you checked?

Chris

Unless it's a total monster it's generally not worthwhile to slab 1968-72 proofs. Given that the '70 is not Ucam I don't think you'll get too much action on it. People can cherrypick proof sets of that era and find decent proofs without a huge amount of effort, and they get the thrill of "the hunt". OTOH, finding ucam/dcam coins in proof sets of that era can be significantly harder.

It doesn't matter what Numismedia, Coin Values, Red Book or any other price guide states as the "value", it's what you can get selling it. What auctions have you checked?

Chris

There in lies the problem. A quick search on TT shows prices less than $20 bucks. Don't get disappointed though. Many experienced graders will send in lots of coins and not get back a pr69cam. So, you did well, especially if you looked at it and thought it would 69cam and it did. But, if you look at TT and check the prices realized for 68 coins in say 68-69 cam, I think you'll find they are pretty cheap. If you go the TT way though, I'd make sure you bought the whole set at the same time as shipping will eat you up.

Here's a quick search via TT. 1968 proof coins.

Also, just to let you know, the 68 quarters are pretty darn rare in cameo and very rare in Ucam. So, if you come across any, that is a good find!

My tastes run toward super cameos when it comes to modern Proof coins. The ordinary pieces, even when they get a big grade like PR-69 don't turn me on very much. To be candid, it often takes a very high grade in a modern Proof coin to meet my standards. I've been amazed at the number of spots I've seen on Proof coins from '60s and '70s that landed in PR-67 holders. If it's got spots, it's not for me. Maybe I've not gone though dealers' Proof set boxes for a while, but finding spot-free coins for most dates never seemed to be a problem. (shrug)

I'm with you my man... you'd probably like this one!

c25151793.jpg

I know I do!

I have the Kennedys in the 1964 -1970 Poofs and Mint State. I didn't want to break up the Proof set so I sent in the 1970 S from the Dansco and saw thst is was graded a PF69 Cameo. I saw them on EBay in Bins for $99.00 bucks which is almost twice what Numismedia has for it.

At any rate , I looked at the Kennedys in the Proof sets I have and they look better so since I need the 68S and 69S for the Registry I cracked therm out and will send thrm in tomorrow. Cost is zero so my cost will only be $12.50 for the grading.

Thanks to everybody for all the info.

The pre-1970-S are the only Kennedy's that are hard to find in CAM or UCAM. They are the only Kennedy proofs that I have any interest in excepting the 1998-S matte proof coin which I have. If they do CAM or UCAM and you ever decide to sell them, let me know. I will give you a decent price for them.

I have a 1964-1978 Kennedy set with all the business strike and proof coins raw, but only the '68, '69 and '70 proofs are cameo and I don't want to break up the set.