• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which one would you choose, and why ????

82 posts in this topic

Hi Coin dudes...... :hi:

I grew up collecting key Lincoln cents.... 1931s, 1909s VDB, 1922 plain, etc. etc.

Now I'm comics only....humbly I tell you one of the hottest threads in the comics section of the Boards is my "which one would you choose, and why???" thread. It compares 2 comparably prices books, and forumites choose which 1 they would pick if they could only have 1, and why. If it works for comics, it shoud work for coins!! Ready to play? (and then you guys add other combos as well)

Both sold for $1.8 Million :o within the past 2+ years, Which one would you choose, and why ????

Steve

PS.....since I don't collect coins anymore, I choose whatever TomB does :acclaim:

589a961a3ad99_59269-1.8mill.jpg.3d38c9ada0ae8506604f3745a422a55f.jpg

589a961a3dac4_59270-1.8mill2.jpg.e301cc045457722851cc5e337efed2e1.jpg

I don't collect gold, but that has nothing to do with my decision.

It doesn't matter because I'd sell it anyway. Just think of all the other coins I could buy with $1,800,000!

Chris

I may have to flip a coin. ;) Though the High Relief is very beautiful. I like the 27-D. (thumbs u

Edited to add Business Strike vs Proof also. ;)

UHR for sure. The only thing different between a generic saint and the 27D is two little numbers, while the UHR is a unique type.

UHR for sure. The only thing different between a generic saint and the 27D is two little numbers, while the UHR is a unique type.

... not to mention it is WAY more attractive IMO. Also, I strongly suspect that if you got one photographer to image both coins that the UHR would look significantly better than it does in this (washed out) image.

You picked one of my favorite designs here.. but even of the favorite designs, there are several different types... and although I don't own one, I really really appreciate the design that ASG put together... and the only true redition of that is the UHR coin, with Roman numerals... that one does it for me.

...and these 2 sold for $83,000....both at Heritage, and I looked in their archives and sorted by price ( hint hint as to how to keep this thread going ;) ).

Which one would you choose, and why ????

59291-coincs2.jpg.7555999b0c7ec8873fb2611990289331.jpg

59292-coins.jpg.02582ef15e652ebc1ce0e79ac21df1b5.jpg

I would love to have a Morgan like that in my collection, but she would probably cause discontent among the rank-and-file because the others would be drooling with envy.

Chris

I would love to have a Morgan like that in my collection, but she would probably cause discontent among the rank-and-file because the others would be drooling with envy.

Chris

Same here. :grin:

59292-coins-1.jpg

I'd take the Extra High Relief. That coin drips with history.

The 1927-D is just a very rare date. Even if I had the money I would not collect St. $20 gold pieces by date and mint. Therefore the 1927-D does not have much collector interest for me.

Of course there is always the strategy of selling the 1927-D for big bucks, buying the Extra High Relief and probably have a few bucks left over. hm

I'd take the Proof Morgan dollar. It would be a solid upgrade for my type set. The CC Seated dollar is an interesting piece of history, but it does not go with much of anything else in my collection.

This should be a pretty easy choice for the type collector and a very difficult decision for a series collector of St Gaudens. As a type collector, I can pick up an MS67 common date Saint for under $10K; there is no need to spend $1.8 million on the rarest one of the entire series. So I will take the UHR Proof all day long. Additionally, I can only imagine how beautiful a PF68 Proof Saint must look in hand. It has to be more visually impressive than the 27-D MS67.

I would like to hear the opinion of someone who is a series collector of Saints. That would be an agonizing decision to make IMO.

As far as the second set of coins, I will definitely go with the PF69 Cameo Morgan. An essentially perfect coin minted over a century ago is a coin that I would never pass up if I had the opportunity and resources. The 1873-CC is a rarity, but I personally don't even think the coin is attractive at all. If I found that coin on the street, it would be consigned to an auction the next day. I have no interest in owning that coin.

For the second set of coins it would have to be the proof morgan as I have always wanted a proof morgan dollar.

I would go with the 1927-D Saint because it is the most rare Saint. The UHR Saints can be bought at any large auction. The 1927-D will appreciate more over the next several years than most other coins.

The UHR Saints can be bought at any large auction.

No they can't be purchased at any large auction. The HIGH RELIEF 1907 double eagles are actually pretty common and always available for a price. The EXTRA or ULTRA high relief $20 gold coins are very rare. These coins were struck before the regular high relief coins, and the mintage was estimated to be around 22 pieces. Today perhaps 12 or so survive.

allright coin guys.....this is my last post in this thread, trying to get it up and running.

The goal is for you to keep it going by posting the endless combinations of 2 like priced coins, whether they are $10 or $100,000. :makepoint:

Both of these sold for appox. $86,000....which one would you choose, and why ???? ( and since I used to be in this world, I know this should be a 50/50 split decision amongst responders, which is the goal of this thread...to make it tough to choose :gossip: )

I'll choose the '22 Plain......'09 S VDB's are practically growing on trees ( although not in grade, granted )

59393-lincoln.jpg.5b7ace5d78c8d4bfba98c66536b19850.jpg

59394-lincoln2.jpg.cdb0de888226c69bf9c7c35c0906d058.jpg