• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's post some Classic Commemoratives this weekend.

68 posts in this topic

I just don't understand why this series hasn't just fallen out of bed, but seems to have fallen through the floor too. IMO it has some of the prettiest designs ever created by the US, and if you are just collecting a typeset there are only 50 coins to collect, which is highly reasonable given the number of coins in some other series. I'll grant you there are some definite clunkers, but there are also some really attractive designs, with a nice selection of coins that are either white with killer luster or are beautifully toned.

So, please post a Classic Commemorative, and I'd also be intrigued in your thoughts as to why the Classic Commemorative market has gone so far south.

Here's a CA. to start us off.

Sy1925California.jpg

Yeah, there are some classic commems that seem to be more popular, such as the California, Texas, Bay Bridge, and a couple of others. These have the nicest design and the widest appeal, thematically wise. But overall, the set seems to be daunting to someone just beginning, and they aren't the cheapest things, especially when you find nice color coins like that one. Also, and this is how I personally feel, why do I want to collect all of those designs when I really don't care about them? I would much rather get a mainstream set where I like the design. There are 50 of them if you do a type set, but a very large 144 if you do the whole set, and most people that buy a classic commem, I would argue, need it for a Dansco or type set or something. So, overall, yeah, there might be some nice coins in the series, but classic commems as a whole just don't hold my interest.

I will add, though, that I do want to pick up a nice Sesquicentennial half eventually, as a sort of tie in for my Franklin set. The bell on the Franklin half was lifted almost directly from the Sesquicentennial, so they tell me.

I might have a pic or two lying around. I'll start with a BTW.

Overall I like the commemorative market for most of the reasons stated and many more. You can find interesting reading about each and every coin and most of them have a bit of intrigue, deciept and design deceptions. There are a few good books out there that can give you the full skinny on these coins.

FYI A bit of trivia on the BTW series. Some think that the coin was designed/recommended so that it would appease the black community so that they wouldn't turn to communism. The mind set back then was certainly something wasn't it?

59249-1949DBTWMS66Obverse.JPG.74f3a3e98a9382ac26a3bd21cc552855.JPG

59250-1949DBTWMS66Reverse.JPG.5d275304cdd6c2327b38600c0a432b73.JPG

Personally I've NEVER felt the need to collect all 50. There are about 25 designs that I find interesting. OTOH, if I had the money for it, I'd buy every date/mm Oregon in high end toned condition. As it is, I've got one (white) Oregon in PCGS MS66, and I just bought another date/mm (toned) in NGC 67.

EDITED TO ADD: Stgecko, looks like you were posting while I was typing. Nice BTW (thumbs u , and yeah, the mindset back then was definitely something...

Here's one I picked up at a local coin show. I upgraded my coin to this. I couldn't believe how nice it looked in hand when I first saw it. A good price was negotiated and I feel good about it as my old coin doesn't have near the detail or lustre that this coin has.

59251-1926SesquicentennialObverse.JPG.b10ce9dce96a473c1d2ba9949feec662.JPG

59252-1926SesquicentennialReverse.JPG.61373604c55cb92258d026ede203e256.JPG

Without a doubt, I would love to own a toned set like the one Mark showed us a while back. I just haven't hit the lottery yet.

Chris

59263-IMG_1536.JPG.38a9f1fbed23da71211ccaa2b628b683.JPG

59264-IMG_1534.JPG.0bb28f156e72fb2b974e7fe2eaced896.JPG

Here's a nice AU example with a Wayne Herndon Pedigree and Michael Printz image: (thumbs u

STMNTOBV.jpg

STMNTREV.jpg

Super nice Missouri Bill!! (worship)

TomB Pedigree and Michael Printz Image: (thumbs u

maineobv-1.jpg

I Love there Classic Commemoratives and am actively seeking additons to my collection (HINT, HINT).

I have received quite a few very nice coins from members on here and I thank you. Here is one that was part of our collection that surprised me.

(But who can go wrong with anything dealling with Texas???)

1937 Texas MS 66

Rey

1937TexasMS66R2.jpg

1937TexasMS66R.jpg

Wow, I am impressed with all of the commemoratives posted. Kind of make me want to purchase more than the four that I already have in my 7070.

Another Bay Bridge, but certainly not as sharp as Skyman's. This is one of my favorite commemoratives.

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3023.jpg