• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Searching for the appropriate coin

19 posts in this topic

So often in the Marketplace I read threads where someone is looking for specific coins in specific grades.

What is your preference? Would you rather search raw coins for the appropriate grades (assuming ample availability) and submit them yourself? Or, would you prefer not to waste your time and buy them already slabbed?

NOTE: There is no right or wrong answer to this question. I'm just curious.

Personally, I like the thrill of the hunt, but if you don't know how to load the weapon, you might find yourself in trouble.

Chris

I like both! It its a coin that needs to be slabbed ( for genuine, toning, variety) I would buy slabbed. But I like to hunt for great deals, and then get slabbed if wanted. I enjoy collecting coins in older slabs too.

I just want the right coin, but oftentimes this means that the coin I am looking for has a high probability of already having been slabbed.

Excellent question Chris----and as you say, maybe no right or wrong answer. Like Tom B says, "he wants the right coin". So, maybe you find it slabbed---and maybe you find it "raw". The key is to be able to KNOW that it is the right coin.

My preference is to buy 'raw' and then to slab if I want to. So, I look at a lot of raw coins. But, if I see a slabbed coin that "fits", then I will pay that extra premium for a coin that is already slabbed----especially if I know that I may not see the coin again anytime soon. That just happened when I bought a 1935S Walker. I had been looking for a 'raw' coin for years. One of my dearest friends found it for me on a dealer website---in a PCGS holder----I bought it. I would certainly have rather found it raw---but sometimes that just doesn't happen.

Talking about your knowledge level has a lot to do with how you should buy. If you are indeed a true expert in your field, you might buy differently than someone who is just starting to collect. The 'new' collector would probably be smarter to buy coins already in slabs---learn---and then maybe do it a little differently after he learns some more. The learned collector might just hope to see what he wants to buy---regardless of the money---regardless of whether it is in any slab or not.

Most really knowledgable collectors know when they have found a "special" coin. They just ask how much? Pay the man---say thank you---walk away---and, when far enough away----scream out loud---and go home and eat some crabs and beer to celebrate. Take care. Bob

All good responses and sharing of knowledge. For me it depends on what it is I am interested in. Examples are Medals, which are typically raw, I turn to other folks for input such as Chris. Dansco Album completions such as Mercs, Buffalos, etc. I again look at raw but tend to search within our community as opposed to outside. Actually anytime I am in search of a raw coin I will first turn to the boards since I do not get out to too many shows and do not trust Ebay (unless a fellow member). As far as graded or slabbed coins, I will search wherever to try to find what I am looking for. I prefer the input and expertise that is demonstrated in these forums on any type of coin that I am interested in.

Rey

SLABBED but inspected carefully for any flaws that already exist with in the holder

With regard to grade, I have no preference at all for how I buy coins, certified or not. Most of them will end up being NONcertified, anyhow, once I own them. I like certain coins in slabs, but I can't stand many other coins in slabs. Many times, I couldn't care less since the coin doesn't appeal to me period.

Depends on what I am wanting to do with the coin. If it is going into a Dansco then either would be fine but preferred raw unless it is a key coin then graded. If for one of my registry sets then slabbed.

While I do buy both, the vast majority are slabbed when I get them. In the last month I've bought two raw, 1771 and proof 1805 British Halfpennies. I would rather have them already slabbed, since I am buying long distance. Just because I am not good at grading from photos and returns are a pain to the UK.

I'd much rather buy slabbed because there is always a gamble buying a coin from a picture. I've bought a handful of Seated Liberty arrows type on ebay lately. Some are slam-dunk gradable. A couple are iffy. I'll sell what doesn't slab but what does slab will be subject to the grading games. Now, PCGS is grading tight, has been for awhile now. I'd prefer consistency over policies.

I like to look for raw coins-as I like a darker toned coin for any of the liberty seated coins-half dime, dime, quarter, half dollar or dollar. For some reason you don't run across that many of those toned dark in slabs, but seem to find them raw more often. Should I run across a slabbed coin I like, then I have no problem paying the premium for it. For some reason, when sellers on ebay sell slabbed coins(for most of the sellers-not all) they feel they don't have to provide quality pictures-just the slabs suffice. I disagree-I would like high quality pics regardless-usually when raw coin auctions are accompanied by poor pics there is a reason. I'm in the process of buying a certain Liberty Seated dollar and hope beyond hope I get it-I'll know as soon as a question I have is answered on it. Then, only one more coin for my 7070-yea!

Great post, Chris.

Jim

If what I'm looking for will be slabbed, I prefer to buy it already slabbed. If I'm having a hard time finding it slabbed (like my 2007 and 2008 britannias), then I'm open to buying raw, but I want to see a good photo before I waste my time.