• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A gift from Hoot!

15 posts in this topic

I received this wonderful medal from Mark today. Sorry, but my photos don't do justice for the toning.

Thanks, Mark!

Chris

59178-_MG_2218.JPG.7550c9eb42b1539974c69a5cdf155300.JPG

59179-_MG_2219.JPG.7579dd7c96100a81f58bb79f78b0e3de.JPG

A more deserving fellow, there never was! Here are my photos of the medal:

Hoot

We have a draw! Your obverse looks closer to the medal in-hand and my reverse looks closer to the medal in-hand. lol

Thanks, Mark!

Chris

I would assume that the token was struck back in 1967 but it still has some interesting dates on the reverse in that it has the Vietnam war listed from 1961-1967 Of course we all know through history that this conflict did not end in 1967, especially for the United States.

Although there is no official start of the US involvement in Vietnam, it is widely recognized that we did have advisors there in the early months of 1961 with an escalation of those 800 original ground troops to over 16,000 in that same year. The news worthy escalation began on or about March 2, 1965 and continued well into the late 60’s and early 70's The 1970’s finally revealed declining numbers of air and ground troops as the original mission there fell from public favor. The official end of the “conflict” (that term still bothers me) was April 30, 1975

Still a very nice token with some great color, I assume that it has a precious metal content?

I would assume that the token was struck back in 1967 but it still has some interesting dates on the reverse in that it has the Vietnam war listed from 1961-1967 Of course we all know through history that this conflict did not end in 1967, especially for the United States.

Although there is no official start of the US involvement in Vietnam, it is widely recognized that we did have advisors there in the early months of 1961 with an escalation of those 800 original ground troops to over 16,000 in that same year. The news worthy escalation began on or about March 2, 1965 and continued well into the late 60’s and early 70's The 1970’s finally revealed declining numbers of air and ground troops as the original mission there fell from public favor. The official end of the “conflict” (that term still bothers me) was April 30, 1975

Still a very nice token with some great color, I assume that it has a precious metal content?

Woody, the dates for the Vietnam War were the first thing that caught my eye when I looked at the reverse, and yes, I assume that it was because the war was still ongoing. There is a sticker attached to the reverse side of the ICG holder that indicates that it is .995 Silver and is numbered on the edge, #4998. I wonder how many of these were produced? It is graded MS64 and weighs 26.4 gms.

Chris

Hoots is good - I tried to help too Cause Chris sucks with pictures :)

"Smile, you're on Condom Camera!"

Chris lol