• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Must admit...large cents are my favorites

13 posts in this topic

Being a life long U.S. type collector...currently stuck and fated to remain so...I have to confess my particular love of large cents. I have been lucky in that I have 1 example of each major type except the 1793 wreath. These things just fascinate me. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd be hard pressed but I guess it would be the one below. The slab has seen better days but I think the coin is pretty decent. I remember paying $9 for it when I was a kid (raw of course...the coin...not the kid) and I submitted it years ago when PCGS was still green. The question is, for all you pros out there, do I have the "variety" right?

Hope everyone is well and having a very good day!

RI AL

drapedo.jpg

drapedr.jpg

If I had a collection full of coins that looked like that, I'd love large cents too! Purchases from my childhood looked nothing like that.

Nice coin!

Sounding a cautious note, I think that coin needs to be conserved, and the sooner the better. It looks like it has potentially active corrosion near the top of the obverse.

Hey! Thanks for the "heads up"! After I viewed my enlargement, I saw the spot in question and my heart nearly missed a beat...(or 7000). So, I whipped out the trusty microscope and studied the coin closely. It is a darker splotch and perfectly smooth under magnification. Much to my relief, I don't think it's corrosion but I appreciate your sharp eyes and bringing it to my attention. This is one of my favorite coins and I sure as heck don't want it going down the tubes!!

RI AL

Hey, Mike. Not to worry...your collection will get there. Regarding, "when I was a kid"...you have to remember that if I were much older, I would have picked this 1802 cent out of circulation! doh!

RI AL

Hope everyone is well and having a very good day!

RI AL

I was well until I saw your copper and now I'm sick with envy. Great eyes for a kid(and I would bet $9 wasn't something to sneeze at, then), I would imagine you had some help picking this particular coin. Beautiful coin.

Jim

Well considering an S-32 would be a 1794. . . No. :) (I assume it is supposed to be a 232. I'll try and remember to double check it later, I have no notes with me here.)

On the attribution I'm coming up with S-237. It definitely isn't 232. On 232 the gap between the ends of the wreath is slightly right of the serif of the S.