• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AU 59 full head?

6 posts in this topic

Technically speaking, is it possible to have a 1917s quarter type 1 (non certified) at MS 59 with a full head? Wouldn't a rub on the head probably be what brought the piece down from a 60 or better? Can you have a full head 59? A dealer in "Coin Prices" is offering the coin.

RI AL

Well, 59 is not a generally used/accepted grade, but theoretically, I can easily see certain high grade AU Standing Liberty Quarters having enough head detail to warrant a Full Head designation. A minimal amount of rub on a coin (which might not even appear on Liberty's head) could affect the head detail less than a little bit (or more) of weakness in strike.

I have seen coins that are listed as 58 FH by PCGS. But like Mark said, the 59, I've never seen that on any slab... ok well maybe SGS would use that grade!

So really I think your main question was, can a slightly circulated coin still be FH? Answer yes!

Speaking of which, here's an example of one in an NGC slab, albeit it's a T2.

AU 58 Full Head here!