• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody Interested In WTC Coins ?

16 posts in this topic

This is my big interest and I was wondering if there was anybody else here that shared it.

I have a small collection of these coins now and I will try to add to it when I can. I have research much of the history of these coins and I like the coins for what they are a historical memory of what happen. Well that is what it is to me anyway!

So if anybody else has an interest in these coins let me know and let me know what you know about the coins

WTC coins.

I am probably showing my ignorance, but aren't these all private issues? Or...are you talking about coins that were on site in vaults on 9/11?

Wanting to learn here. RI AL

I think there were some SAEs that were stored in the vaults. Those are the only official coins I know of. The others that I've seen are all private issue commemorative coins. I think some of them aren't even silver, just silver plate.

Howdy and welcome. You may find this topic a bit toxic over on the PCGS boards, but I have not seen the backlash as strong on the NGC boards. The only thing I can contribute to your topic is that I am the original owner of coin #48 of the 100-pieces issued to raise money for the NYC Firefighters' Widows and Children Fund.

This subject is toxic, because, aside from issues that aid widows and orphans, most people are entirely turned off and sensitized by scuzz-bag dealers making money off the death of 3000+ Americans. I certainly am turned off, it's kind of like Germany issuing a Concentration Camp commemorative.

This subject is toxic, because, aside from issues that aid widows and orphans, most people are entirely turned off and sensitized by scuzz-bag dealers making money off the death of 3000+ Americans. I certainly am turned off, it's kind of like Germany issuing a Concentration Camp commemorative.

Same reason why some are opposed to it being made a national holiday. No body wants a "WTC Day Sale." Talk about tasteless.... Don't get me wrong though. I wouldn't mind if in 2011 the Mint made a WTC commem and made donations to the widows and orphans. I'd buy that.

I agree 1000%.

Why are WTC coins different than other types of memorabilia? Slave artifacts are big business especially among those who have had relatives that were slaves. WWI and WWII items are big business. I guess when it comes down to it, I collect coins because I enjoy them and the HISTORY is something I enjoy most about collecting.

I think maybe the timing as its early history that is what people have against it.

Your right it is still very fresh for many of us.

There were also unscrupulous retailers who profited off these types of coins. Even though some profits went to the right places, the pot had/has already been soured.

Your right it is still very fresh for many of us.

There were also unscrupulous retailers who profited off these types of coins. Even though some profits went to the right places, the pot had/has already been soured.

The material covered by this post not clear to me. I am familiar with topic in two possible contexts.

The first are privately issued rounds which I assume are not the topic of this post. Those I would consider to be overpriced and have poor financial prospects.

The others are coins recovered from the WTC site. The closest comparison that comes to mind are "treasure" coins from the Spanish colonial fleets. There is definitely a market for those though I am not part of it. I have no opinion on these coins but personally would not pay a premium for them.

Most of the treasure ships though were sunk by storms not the direct actions of other people. A better comparison might be Nazi concentration/death camp money, of which I also have a small collection.

Why are WTC coins different than other types of memorabilia? Slave artifacts are big business especially among those who have had relatives that were slaves. WWI and WWII items are big business.

Slave artifacts were actually used by slaves. WWI and WWII artifacts were actually used by the people involved in those two wars. The "death coins" were just something that happened to be in the vicinity of the disaster, and it was hype that created an association between them and 911. That is why I personally have nothing but distaste for them.

I guess when it comes down to it, I collect coins because I enjoy them and the HISTORY is something I enjoy most about collecting.

I think maybe the timing as its early history that is what people have against it.

A slave bracelet has meaning, as does a Jewish armband, because those are tangible to the victims of persecution. They really do have "history". But you may rest assured that not a single victim of 911 even knew of the death coins, much less used them or was personally associated with them in any way, prior to the disaster. Someone could just as well have dug up rocks from near the disaster site and hyped them up as "history". The only "history" I associate with death coins is the crass opportunistic attitude of Corporate America.

I'm not bitter about these coins, or anything like that. If you want to collect them, go for it. But there are much better reminders of the "history" that is 911 than cheap, common silver coins whose only association with 911 is that invented by a corporation. I suspect that in retrospect, PCGS wishes they had never gotten involved with them.

I didn't mean to rant, and apologize that this comes across as such. You should collect what you like. But, now you have on contrarian point of view, for what that's worth :) !

I guess his ebay sales are slipping so he spammed all the coin forums.

I wonder if his other website is www.recoveredbodyparts.com?

the whole idea of profiting from America's angst over 9-11 is disgusting.

check auction sales of those "recovered wtc" coins. they never bring a premium over normally slabbed coins that may have been in a vault only one block away on 9-11

they are coins that have a historical interest for sure but I see them like I saw all the car and furniture dealers who suddendly developed patriotism on 9-12. Remember the big flag draped sales ads the week after?

remember bush telling us all "they are trying to destroy our economy" and like the sheep we are, Americans went on a buying spree to prove the terrorists wrong.

the recovered wtc coins are part of that and thats what disgusts me.

Silvermonger I think when you read this storry you will not say stuff like that again. Also I never sold any of these coins anywhere just for the record.

On Tuesday, September 11, 2001 at 9:30 AM on the Professional Coin Grading Service web site’s (www.pcgs.com) U.S. Coin message board, DcamMike1 posted:

“Turn on any news!” Moments later pmh1nic posted “It’s looking like a terrorist attack. I heard a report that both planes had been hijacked but no word on from where.”

These first posts about the terrorist attacks were followed by others throughout the day. Swiftly posters’ feelings turned toward sympathy for the victims of the attack. Mitchell Spivack (Mitch), whose PCGS board nickname is “wondercoin,” posted a message with the heading, “Auction: 2001 NY State Quarter PCGS-MS67 Proceeds to Fire Fighters”

Full story http://www.wtc911coins.com/topics/ny-firefighters-coin/